King James says....

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by LaSalleAve, Nov 13, 2009.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

no one in the NBA should ever wear 23 again to pay homage to Michael Jordan. Ok, Michael Jordan was one of the greatest basketball players of all time, but he wasn't Jackie Robinson. You can't just retire a number from a game for Jordan. If the Bulls retire 23 fine, but the whole league? And you damn sure can't tell Jordan the number is his because it will only end up being the property of some bookie. Thoughts?

2. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

try Bill Russell's number. He won more titles than MJ.

3. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Also MJ wore more than one number.
    Didn't he wear like #35 for a while?

4. LaSalleAve

5. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

"I feel like no NBA player should wear 23. I'm starting a petition, and I've got to get everyone in the NBA to sign it. Now, if I'm not going to wear No. 23, then nobody else should be able to wear it."

I love how he threw that in there.

I think this is fairly stupid. No one player is bigger than the sport itself. And that's the statement you are making here.

Now MLB doing this for Roberto Clemente, yeah that would be something I could see being done.

Michael Jordan is a self-absorbed azzhole.

6. P&G_wheelz007

P&G_wheelz007 Football anyone?

I actually like the idea....

Basketball is a unique sport. If you have the best player you're gonna have one of the stronger teams- ALWAYS.

In football, if you're the QB the offense runs through you, but you have nothing to do with the defense.

In baseball, if you're a pitcher, you're usually not very proficient as a hitter.

In basketball, 1 guy can dominate a game 1,000% more than any football or baseball player can.

IMO, Michael Jordan is the greatest player in any of the 3 major sports, EVER.

In every other major sport there is always someone to compare a great player to. Not in Jordan's case.

For me, he is a once-in-a-lifetime sports Icon that deserves the highest respect and recognition possible.

:crystal::geaux::crystal::geaux::crystal:

7. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

I agree that Jordan is the greatest player in the history of sports.....but he already gets the highest respect and recognition possible.

If a player wants to wear 23 then he should wear 23. That should be a higher honor to Michael than not wearing his number at all.

8. LaSalleAve

i can't say Jordan is the greatest player in Basketball history much less the history of sports. The case can be made, and he is definitely one of the top 5 or 6 greatest players in the history of basketball, but you can't definitively say that he is the greatest of all time.

Jackie Robinson is the only player to have his number retired from a sport. Michael Jordan is no Jackie Robinson. Jackie was a hall of famer alone, but then you add what he did for the game, and for African Americans in professional sports.

The Bulls have already retired MJ's number that should suffice.

9. downtown

downtown Founding Member

MJ was the best I've ever seen. But he is such an azzhole that I wouldn't consider retiring his jersey. Like you said, the Bulls retired it, so that's enough.

King James should shut up. "If I don't wear it...bla...bla...bla..." Dude, you're not that important yet.

I mean, Kareem played longer, scored more points, had more rebounds/assists, one more league MVP award and the same # of championships. I guess you would retire his number if you decided to retire Jordan's from the league.

10. LaSalleAve

Don't forget Wilt, Dr. J, Bird, and to me the best player i ever saw play was Magic Johnson. Magic could play any position. He could post up centers, and shoot hook shots, he could shoot 3's, he was one of the best passers in the game, he could penetrate off the dribble. Magic and Bird were on the tail ends of their careers when MJ started really shining in the NBA so of course MJ made them look stupid at times, but i can show you a youtube clip of Allen Iverson making MJ look stupid on a crossover.

You can make the argument that MJ was the greatest of all time, but its very objectionable. He was definitely one of the greatest of all times.

I agree LeBron should just shut up and worry about himself. MJ like you said was an ass, and gambling addict, and really did nothing remotely close to what Jackie Robinson did.