Kitchen Fiction vs Science Fact

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by Bengal B, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Myth: Storing coffee in the freezer keeps it fresh.

Truth: The daily removal of java beans from the freezer causes their temperature to change. This encourages condensation which, like prolonged exposure to air, degrades the flavor of the beans.

Myth: Putting oil in pasta water prevents the noodles from sticking together.

Truth: Starch released by the noodles as they cook causes them to stick together. Using ample water will help dilute the starch. Oil floats to the surface of the denser water and has little effect on the noodles.

Myth: Washing mushrooms causes them to soak up excess water.

Truth: Even when soaked for 5 minutes, standard button mushrooms retain less than 3 percent of their weight in water. Washing affects them even less.

Myth: Leaving the avocado pit in the bowl will prevent guacamole from turning brown.

Truth: Enzymes in an avocado's flesh become discolored when exposed to oxygen. Leaving the pit in your guacamole keeps only the portion under it green.

2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

what if you put the coffee immediately back in the freezer and its grinds not beans?

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I don't know. I don't buy coffee by the bean. I always buy a pound of pre ground Community Dark Roast and after I open it I keep it in an air tight sealed container. The last cup tastes as fresh as the first.

4. tirk

thats why i asked. hardly anyone keeps the damn beans in the freezer and grinds them everyday. support your post. lol

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I didn't write the information and I have no opinion about whether it is correct or not. I found it on a website and posted it as informative info. I found another website that belongs to a coffee company that recommends keeping their beans in the freezer.

6. martin

martin Banned Forever

7. tirk

kidding BB, get some sleep. lol

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I posted that whole story on another thread. I get wired through a lycos email account and when I post a link from withing lycos its not clickable.

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

yes i guess you did, i need to open my eyes.