Kobe Bryant dead in a Chopper Crash in CA

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Rougarou2020, Jan 26, 2020.

1. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Canceling a Lakers game seems like an overreaction. A lot of Kobe’s hype always felt manufactured to me. Same here.

HalloweenRun and Jmg like this.
  2. ROY_LA_CA

ROY_LA_CA Founding Member

Very well put Tirk. My sincere thanks to you for posting this.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

You never saw him play, did you? He was as close to being Michael Jordan as possible without actually being Michael Jordan.

didit and lsu-i-like like this.
  4. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I don't know what lens you are viewing this from but your perspective is interesting to say the least. What specifically was exaggerated about his accomplishments on the court and what was exaggerated about what he has done since?

Pretty much the entire league had demonstrations of respect for him at all their games on Sunday. Clearly the 2 teams who are closest to him and the situation are going to have a difficult time stepping on the court to play. Several players in other parts of the country said they didn't want to show up. I don't think the fans would have wanted to see that game be played.

Some people are just charismatic leaders. Kobe is one of them. Since he stepped off the court 3 years ago he has done quite a bit for kids and sports. He's made an effort to improve and elevate everything he's involved with. I don't think you will find 1 player who wouldn't put his name at the top of the list for those who worked the hardest to achieve the most. That kind of competitive spirit is rare.

I certainly have not been a Kobe superfan, but I do love the game of basketball and there is no denying what he's done for it.

Bengal B and lsu-i-like like this.
  5. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

we live in an era consumed by maudlin sentimentalism

lsu-i-like likes this.
  6. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

i hear you. as residents of baton rouge, we should know that people be dyin every day.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  7. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

kobe was a rich man's carmelo anthony. disliked by everyone, a one dimensional high volume scorer. not even in the same league as lebron and jordan. lebron is a team player to the core, jordan is thrice the competitor kobe was.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  8. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

The pomp around his retirement seemed forced and he seemed to care more about Kobe than team. Still feel for him and his family; maybe I’m in the minority, it just seems like people are two-faced. Now that he’s dead he’s universally appreciated...

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

You can call Lebron a team player if you want but that's because he doesn't demand to take the game winning shot when it comes down to it. Woe to the teammate of Jordan, Magic, Bird or Kobe who didn't pass him the ball with the game on the line. I would take any of those 4 in their prime on my team over Lebron. I hope Zion becomes the next really great player who can put the team on his back and carry them to championships. Lebron wouldn't have any rings if it weren't for Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh in Miami and in the pivotal Cavs-Warriors game it was Kyrie Irvin who stepped up to the plate.

didit likes this.
  10. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Not even close.

Jordan played when the league had anywhere from 23-27 teams. Kobe's career was mostly when the league had 30 teams.

"To be successful you have to be selfish, or else you never achieve. And once you get to your highest level, then you have to be unselfish." -Michael Jordan

Doesn't a competitor, a winner, WANT the ball? Of course. I'd take any of the 5 you mentioned.

Today, Shaq said Kobe was a brother to him. Brothers fight but they love each other. He said he has 4 rings but he knows he wouldn't have 3 of them without Kobe. Good enough for me.

Winston1, Bengal B and lsu-i-like like this.