Krags attention

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Rwilliams, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

We have 3 talented qb's that need plenty of one on one coaching with coach krag. Krag is a very good qb developer but he is only one person. These qb's need intense personel instruction by krag. Here is how I see it breaking down:
    1) Jefferson needs to learn how to read defenses and not seam to be confused. When he is rattled and confused the entire offense is lost. Procedure penalties,false starts and delay of game calls abound. His wind up style throwing motion needs tons of work also. It would take krag to spend every practice in jj's ear to rectify these problems.
    2) Lee needs to work on his passing stance also. The back foot sail the ball into the waiting arms of a safety has to be addressed. He will also have to learn his limitations. He tries to pass into coverage too often. These bad decisions and improper throwing techniques would take krag's undivided attention to straighten out.
    3) Mett is very talented but has no experence in reading the complex sec defenses he will see all year. He will need a calming voice to slow the game down for him. He will need to realize that the level of defensive talent he will see as an sec qb is far greater than what he played aginst in juco ball. It would take a strong mentor to help him understand the position relevent to sec competion.
    Being that coach Krag is only one person and all three qb's need so much attention, whom should he concentrate his time to. Can he build all three at the same time or in trying to train all of them will none of them get the attention they desperately need to succeed?

2. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

Jefferson's had 3 years to learn how to read defenses and work on his mechanics. If it hasn't happened by now, it's not all gonna suddenly come together for him in a single offseason. It's too late to teach him how to be a complete QB. Same goes for Lee. IMO it's time better spent teaching these two how to improve the few things they do adequately.

Unless Mett turns out to be a total bust, he's the future of the QB position, and he's who we need to become a complete package. That is where most of Krag's time and coaching will likely be needed,

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

And you need spelling and grammar lessons.:hihi:

4. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

I agree mett is the future. Miles has faith in jj's big game experience. If krag has to split his time between the two of even three with lee I don't think the qb position will improve as much as if he picked one and gave him the majority of his attention. I know we are one injury away from the 2nd string starting and you have to prepare them both. I think krag will have to take one as his pet project and mentor him. If he tries to teach all three he may not really teach any of them. Also I am not a coach and may be off bad on this. I'm looking forward to seeing what the board thinks about this concern of mine.

5. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

Yeah but that was with Gary Crowton.

6. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

I know I suck. I am on an I phone but no excuse. I still suck but this is a good question

7. oldtigerman

oldtigerman Texas Tiger

If only folks competent in grammer and spelling were permitted to post on this blog, most replys would be empty pages.

8. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

I disagree that it will take a lot of one on one attention. All the QB's are together during practices so it's not like they can't learn all together. The OC won't have a ton of time to give to just the QB position anyway. He will have to rely on another subordinate to work on what he thinks needs to be worked on. I also think that Lee and Jefferson are not far off from making the position adequate. Both were pretty decent in the beginning of their careers but I think Crowton was the cause of their regressions. I mean how do you have two QB's who go from decent to poor in 3 seasons? They just didn't fit his offense and he had no clue in how to get them there.

9. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Agree that Mett is the future, but JJ could improve more than you think. He has been starting for quite a while, so that is certainly a factor in his favor. You can't teach experience. I agree with LaSalle's comments in an older thread comparing JJ's situation to Jason Campbell. JC looked lost for 3 years. I remember thinking, "thank god AU is starting him as a senior, as long as he is the QB, we will win", then he had that lights out senior year. No way to predict whether JJ could have that type of senior year, but it is an example of someone who sucked worse than JJ, then everything started to click. It's possible. In the mortal words of Jim Carey in Dumb and Dumber, "so, there's a chance!" :hihi:

10. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

replies

1 person likes this.