LA. HS Football Playoffs

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TCUTiger, Jan 26, 2013.

1. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

Why base fball teams on hs attended? Just make it geographical.

LSUTiga likes this.
  2. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

This is absolutely true. I can't tell you who has won the private school championships at all in the 16 years I've lived in North Texas. Up here, especially in the suburbs, everyone who wants to be a serious athlete goes to public school; the same can really be said for academics, as well, too.

Then, you have mega public schools, like Allen High School, who have 10,000 kids in the school. They are taking the athletic competition to an all-new level, as well. Allen insists on only having ONE high school, when they should probably have at least two or three.

Plano has the three senior high schools for 11th and 12th graders, but freshmen or sophomores can be plucked from the feeder 9/10 high schools to play for JV and varsity if the senior high coaches want them to. A boy I taught for the past two years was starting for varsity as a DB by the end of the season this past year (as an aside, he LOVES LSU and would love to play for the Tigers.) ;)

3. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

"the fairest way".

Well that should go for their admittance criteria too, shouldn't it? Public schools can't reject anyone while Private schools can select their clientele.

4. LSUTiga

You are most certainly correct. It's even being called the John Curtis Rule. :D

As for Evangel, it's common knowledge that they've recently pulled some from Tejas for softball too.

If anyone thinks the Private School Advantage is something conjured up, check this out.

These were your Softball State Champions of 2012:

1A Catholic (PC)
    2A John Curtis (who beat Evangel- who won it the three years in a row prior)
    3A Parkview Baptist
    4A Tuerlings
    5A Public School

So you see, it isn't just for footbaw anymore.

5. LSUTiga

Man I love that idea.

6. LSUTiga

No the public schools won on both accounts. They kicked them out of the playoff picture but kept the regular season games with $10,000.00 plus gates. And believe me, that's a very conservative figure.

7. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

Southlake has only 1 SR High campus too, I think their 9/10 graders go to another facility. They dont and wont have the geography problems Allen has or will have, so they will never get alot larger than they are now which I think this year they were under 3K for all 4 grades. In comparison...........we "poor" people in Keller pay taxes (now more than SL) to support 13 cities in the KISD. When we moved here in 93 there was 1 HS, 1 Jr high, 1 intermediate and 4 elementaries. Now there are 4 high schools, the three newest ones would be mistaken for colleges in LA. based on the architecture and size. There must be 30 elementaries, all because Fort Worth DOES NOT build schools on the north side of town!!!

Rant switch off!!:)

8. StaceyO

Plano is just still pissed that our Robin Hood funds paid for Allen High School to be built--only to watch those dudes just build a college-caliber football stadium this past year.

But Plano also hates Southlake, too. :)

9. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

We too poor in Keller to worry about Robin Hood..........at least for now. I gotta give SL their props for sports but also for academics. One year I did College nite for LSU in Slake
    and they told me they had 8 or 9 kids that ACED the SAT in one year group! They send alot of athletes to the braniac colleges too.

As for Allens football stadium, for those in LA. that have not seen this thing...........THE ONLY stadium in the state of LA. that compares, is the one so many choose to spend Saturday night in.

http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/0...ootball-sta/landing_big12.html?blockID=772559

10. StaceyO

Plano is just one of a dozen or so districts in the state that send millions and millions of dollars to the state every year for the Robin Hood recapture. We've had teacher layoffs, etc, while other districts are building new schools and purchasing state-of-the-art technology with our property tax dollars. Grrrr.........

Plano's academics are also stellar; kids go to the Ivy League from here every year. Currently, I have former students at both Harvard and Princeton. That's a kind of special circumstance for a public school district, but Plano generally has 60-70 National Merit Finalists across the district's three senior classes.