LA. HS Football Playoffs

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TCUTiger, Jan 26, 2013.

1. vshouse

vshouse Veteran Member

It's very hard to compare texas to Louisiana though because Texas is so large that their zoning districts for the public schools are HUGE compared to louisiana, Texas is such a rural state that they have to have those BIG school zonings. Stacy what is the approximate mile radius for a school like Plano High??

2. vshouse

vshouse Veteran Member

Also I can tell you that at 1:00 pm today several of the private schools are meeting witht the LHSAA to discuss and alternative to their decision, or threaten succeeding from the LHSAA to get their own officials and play their own 12 game private school regular season, and a staright 5 distict playoff system. What's bad is it's not all private school's that are complaining and starting all this crap it's the ones that are currently in 3a and dont want to have to play the 4a and 5a schools in a playoff bracket......they are the ones causing the uproar.....but yet those same crybaby pricipals and head coaches are politicing to be put with the 1a and 2a schools so they can do the beating up! There's one school in particular in my area that is the main culprit starting this mess! and they really get under my skin.....this same school doesn't even count their freshman as part of their enrolee's because then they would be a 4A school, so that they can stay in 3a and dominate. They do not alow their freshman to play varsity so they can not count them as part of their enrolment!!

3. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Now that kind of success (that Stacey is talking about) is sooooo much more important than winning football. Athletic success gives you the discipline an the confidence to be successful in life...and that's it's importance.

A perfect example of this misguided logic is what happened to Tyrann Mathieu. The intangible benefits that athletics provides, like self discipline, goal setting, character development, the ability to make the right choices, choosing friends wisely, etc....didn't parlay into success in life. All because of the wrong emphasis placed on competitive athletics.

4. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Plano is a city of around 300,000 people. Plano Senior High draws from a district probably 3-4 miles east to west and around 8 or 9 miles north and south. Plano Senior ultimately draws from around 15 or 16 elementary schools; for a point of reference, my older daughter's 5th grade graduating class had 123 kids in it (drawing from about a mile radius of densely populated neighborhoods). Five middle schools of around 1100 students in three grades will then feed into two 9/10 high schools with around 2500 students each, to on to Plano Senior High for 11th and 12th grades. The senior highs are set up almost like junior colleges, with open campuses/scheduling/off campus lunches, etc.

5. vshouse

vshouse Veteran Member

Wow.....the 5A public school in my city draws from only 3 elementary schools and 2 jr highs. My Sr. class graduated 212 kids. The population of this city is 24,000.

6. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I graduated with 82 kids, so the fact that my daughter's 5th grade class was 123 kids was pretty amazing to me. However, the way the feeder patterns work is pretty cool. Everything is in a sort of concentric design, so that there are neighborhood elementaries, then as the kids go to middle school, it's 3 fairly close-by elementaries going to the same school, and so forth. Essentially, there is always a base of kids that have gone to school together since kindergarten @ every school. It makes the enormous schools feel smaller somehow.

7. whodatnot

whodatnot I'm taking the day off

Maybe I'm wrong, but I recall in recent years that most championship games played in the dome had at least one public school in each class that made it to the finals. I don't recall many private/private finals since the schools must play to their classifications now. Am I wrong?

LHSAA has made a bad move with this deal.

8. vshouse

vshouse Veteran Member

actually in the last 10 years.....public schools lead the way with championships 26 to 24. Where the problem or crying comes in is because of 2A.....with evangel and John curtis there no one else will make it to the championship. What's intersting to me I was told this morning that "select schools" does not just mean private schools.....I was told that if you have ANY type of select admissions you would be classified in the select category...that includes alot of public schools that have select admissions to certain programs they offer.

9. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Here are your State Champions in football for 2012:

1A: Ouachita Christian (In the quarter final round 5 of the 8 were non public).
    2A: John Curtis (Who played Evangel for the title)
    3A: Parkview Baptist (Who played Notre Dame for the title)
    4A: Neville (In the quarter final round 4 of the 8 were private and another (Karr) was a charter)
    5A: Rummel

4 of 5 are non public. I'm not sure exactly what Neville is but think it's public.

10. vshouse

vshouse Veteran Member

In the last 10 years this is the first year 4 private schools have won championships.....most years it's 2-3 one way or the other. like I said.....in the last 10 years public schools have 26 titles....and privates have 24 titles.