LA Rams

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by LaSalleAve, Jan 13, 2016.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Its a completely new ownership from the original LA Rams though, isn't it? That's another aspect that makes this baffling....wasn't there a group of Missouri businessmen that got together and bought the team a few years ago? I remember Limbaugh trying to be a silent partner and backing out when the fit hit the shan, but I thought the group went through with the purchase without him.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Stan Kroneke was one of the group of Missouri businessmen but he aquired full ownership in 2010. Not only is he the second richest NFL owner with a net worth of $11 billion, his wife is one of Sam Walton's daughters and probably has more money of her own than he does.

Greed, for the lack of a better word, is good.

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

well yeah, not from LA. those 100 people were happy im sure.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Stan Kroenke was born in Columbia Missouri and has 3 degrees from the University of Missouri. He was named after the most famous athlete to play in St. Louis, Stan Musial. Apparently greed is more powerful than loyalty to your home.

Tom Benson is 88. He isn't moving the Saints anytime for the rest of his life. His wife, Gayle Benson is 69. She knows nothing about business and it's likely that when she inherits the Saints she would want to sell the team But to who? A group of New Orleans businessmen? Surely that would guarantee that the Who Dats remain in the Big Easy.

5. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

He's right. Winning solves everything.
    Prior to the sanctions, USC had no problems filling the stadium. Capacity is 93k and it was 10k short of capacity for ucla this year and for notre dame last year. Prior to that, USC's attendance held steady despite a decline around the entire country. Not to mention, the Coliseum is a very old, antiquated facility that currently lacks most of the things that newer stadiums offer. Autzen's capacity is barely over half (54k) of the Coliseum and furd's is 50k. The fans who would go to a Raiders/Chargers game is not the fan going to see USC.

The Raiders left because TV required a sell-out in order to avoid the blackout. LA is the 2nd largest market in the country. Folks will watch on TV but they can't if it's blacked out. There was no money. When the Rams left they were playing at the Big A in Anaheim. Then, and even now, it's not geographically desirable for the most part. It might have made sense for the Chargers because they could still have drawn San Diego fans and LA fans but going all the way to LA, Sandog fans aren't going to drive that far.

It's been 20 years since both teams left. The population and the development around downtown LA has changed significantly. If the NFL can/will be a stadium there, it will be a winner IMO.
    http://www.ladowntownnews.com/development/

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

8. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Gotcha. So essentially, they are definitely moving, just not sure to what stadium? Thanks @Bengal B .

9. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Well shit. I didn't see all of this before I replied. Guess I'll just shut up and wait to see what happens o_O

10. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

I don't like it when teams move either, it really sucks for the fans.. I'm still pissed that the Trailblazer's rival, the Seattle Supersonics left,.. Seattle supported that team well.

IMO the Rams belong in Los Angeles though,.. I met Roman Gabrial when he visited my grade school.

uscvball and tirk like this.