LA Voters get to decide on gay marriage ban

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by lsugrad00, Jun 16, 2004.

1. martin

martin Banned Forever

i hate to be the northeastern liberal, but you guys gotta relax and stop worrying about gays.

how exactly does it lessen the sanctity of your marriage? really? what between you and your wife changes as a result of gays getting "married". how can an outside influence so entirely irrelevant have an effect on your and your wife?

protect it how? what do you think that means when you say it? and if you look at it from a "spiritual" perspective, you are ok, because your church isnt recognizing gay marriage, right?

the problem is that the government recognizes marriage at all, when it should be a matter for churches. then they can battle it out in the churches and people can just join whatever church hates gays or whatever pleases them, and that would be fine by me.

i wouldnt care if polygamy were legal, and i dont see why i should.

2. M.O.M

M.O.M Founding Member

Right to pursuit of happiness?
    I live in Florida, we don't have a state income tax, that makes me happy, if I move to Louisiana, I want to continue being happy, does that mean I don't have to pay Louisiana income tax?
    It would make me happy to have all of your money, in this pursuit, if I take it from you, does the government have any right to interfere in my pursuit?
    It makes me happy to speed, like it doesn't say anything in the Constitution specifically about homosexual sex, it still make me happy to speed, does that mean I can speed at my leisure and the state has no right to stop me from this pursuit of happiness?
    Let me anticipate, perhaps this pursuit has limits if it *effects other people*?
    Well, the Constitution doesn't say anything about that, at least the part you quote. There is no amendum or line about *right of life, liberty, pursuit of happiness...unless it negatively effects someone else*.
    Your literal approach would mean I can speed at my leisure, take whatever I want, do whatever I want, pay whatever taxes I want, just so long as I am doing so in my pursuit of happiness.
    Perhaps that is the type of society you want to live in, I just don't.

3. M.O.M

M.O.M Founding Member

Nothing is richer than subtly or not so comparing the treatment of black folks in America to homosexuals.
    I see your point though, I think positive groups like NAMBLA will be more inclined to go to the polls in Septmber.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The marriage laws don't single out any specific group. A gay man has the right to marry a woman and a gay woman has the right to marry a man. That they choose not to do so dosen't mean they are being discriminated against.

5. martin

martin Banned Forever

but why does anyone need the government to ratify their marriage at all? i wouldnt care if i was getting married tomorrow and the government said they no longer honored straight marriages. screw em, my marriage has nothing to do with the government.

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

My point is that 2 mules can adopt a horse but it's not going to add to the mule population.

How about Lesbiana?

7. ramah

ramah Founding Member

That's exactly the point ... too much blowing going on :hihi:

Soon, guys like TE will be able to apply for their wedding certificates down on the 700+ block of Bourbon ... they can set up little gay wedding chapels
    and dance the night away ... anything for a $$$

8. CParso

CParso Founding Member

There are benefits that come along with having the government acknowledge your marriage, including tax breaks & car insurance rate decreases. But I think it has more to do with the fact that these people want to be recognized as humans and just want to be happy as we all do, except not in the same manner.

Also, isn't sodomy still illegal in LA? What happens to that law if they allow gay marriage?

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

yes, i understand that and have heard some people claim they are fine with gays getting all these things as long as they do not get to use the word "marriage", but rather "civil union". i figure that is the biggest dumbass symbolism over substance thing i have ever heard.

the obvious solution is this: let churches decide what marriage is, and have the government quit handing out the title, but instead grant civil unions to whoever wants one. that way people who think the word "marriage" matters can shut their traps.

10. rfalco1

rfalco1 Freshman

14th amendment says that gay people are citizens too....

There is no 'bastardization' going on becides simply reading the existing constitutional amendment to include all Americans. Interesting that you would quote the 14th amendment as aimed only at blacks, but no where in the amendment does it mention black, African American, or any other race-specific term. Beyond this, the 14th amendment doesn't single out gender, race, or sexual preference; it was written to govern the rights of all citizens be them black, white, female, male, gay or straight. So ultimately, your every argument is flawed because to restrict the rights of homosexuals is in essence stealing from them their due protection granted by the constitution (in essence stealing the rights of their citizenship). Come on now, if homosexuals were allowed to marry, would that really affect your life? If you are comfortable in your sexuality and comfortable in your life, why does someone else's search for happiness have in any way an affect on your state of being? If they want to marry, if that would grant them happiness, why is it your place to say no? Honestly, people need to stop trying to hinder other people's lives and simply focus on their own.