LaBron James...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by geauxscott, Feb 4, 2003.

1. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member

LeBron James...

I know this a little of the the subjuct of LSU, but

what do you think of the incident involving the two throwback jerseys he got. Do you think the punishment was right?

In my opinion it is stupid to not let him finish the season beacause he accepted two jerseys valued at $850 (actual price probably about $3). I know the rule is that you can not accept any gift given to you because of your athletic ability or future earnings, valued at more that $100 dollars. But didn't he recieve a rather large trophy for being voted Ohio's Mr. Basketball. I don't really know the price of trophys like that but I would guess that they are well over $100 and wouldn't that be considered a gift for his athletic ability. The media is all over this guy and were just waiting for him to slip up after the Hummer thing. In my opinion if they let a $50,000 Hummer slide, this should not even be considered. what do yall think??

2. Hub

Hub Founding Member

shit......i thought you were about to say he committed to LSU:D :D

I think you've got a case of a High School Athletic Association Commissioner who looked like a dumbass not doing anything about the Hummer so he had to act on the next thing that came down the pipe. thus, the suspension for the $3 jerseys......should have nailed him for the remote control Hummer......that has to be at least $60. What if he returns the jerseys does he get the suspension dropped........HMMMMM!:confused: :confused:

How bout that $3,000 in fashion and accessories he was wearing on the sidelines of the next game. that damn beeper looked like a laptop.

3. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

I am not an expert on the rules governing "amateur" status or "pro" status, but I think this is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. Who cares whether he gest some free jerseys. If they aren't going to suspend him for working out with the cavs, then you can't suspend him for getting gifts. Does this mean every christmas, every sports star needs to be scrutinized to make sure they didn't receive any "fishy" gifts...

4. tiger777

tiger777 Founding Member

i think it is bull crap he is a high school kid. i was in high school not too long ago and i know i would have taken something in a heartbeat. i mean for gods sake he is just a high school kid. i could see maybe if the hummer was a gift but something like jerseys that can be given back. I just think he should give them back and should be reinstated.

5. geauxscott

he actually did return the jerseys and i believe he is going to appeal the case.
    But if I were him I would just say screw it and sign a $25 million dollar deal with Nike. I wouldn't want to risk injury by playing in the remaining games. That would really suck!!!

6. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

The Hummer was a legit loan from a bank that was in his mom's name. Was it smart? No. Was it illegal in terms of high school eligibility? Yes. It basically put him under a microscope with the OHSAA waiting for him to make a mistake. He has probably accepted many gifts over a $100 dollars but now he was under greater scrutiny.

And if he gave the shirts back, he should be reinstated.

7. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

I think maybe the easiest thing for him to do right now is just go with the suspension and just schedule workouts with scouts and NBA teams that may be interested.

8. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

I think he genuinely cares for his high school teammates and knows that for most of them, winning the Ohio state championship and being the #1 ranked team in the nation will be the highlight of their lives. He grew up with most of these guys and has been best friends with some of them most of his life.

9. -T-

-T- Founding Member

Most banks do tend to shy away from handing out $60,000 loans to women who make $20,000 a year. Labron James knew he could not accept things, but he did. If a freshman at LSU did something like this we would go crazy. Remember FSU and the free shoes. Only about a 1 or 2 year age difference between these guys.

10. geauxscott

MikeD

I agree, he obvously cares alot about his teamates and wants to help them win very badly....because face it without him they are probably not even a top 30 team. but if they reinstate him they will most likely find something else stupid and yank him back out. But I do hope they reinstate him and let him finish his high school career with a Ohio State Championship.

Lets just see if this guy turns out to be for real. i have watched him a couple times and he looks like the real deal. But he is about to enter a TOTALLY different league.