LaBron James...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by geauxscott, Feb 4, 2003.

1. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

But if that bank chose to take the risk on them, that is their perogative. They could default on the loan and the bank would be shit out of luck.

And it is hypocritical for everyone and their mother to be reaping financial benefits from the "amateur" athlete. That is everyone except the athlete. Is it right that ESPN can broadcast his games and make tons of advertising money off of him and he gets nothing? Is it right that the school can sell pay per view for their games and he gets nothing?

Say there was an exceptional singer in high school that could do advertising to capitalize on his fame, should he not be allowed to sing in the school choir? I say if the kid can earn it for others, let them earn it for themselves too.

2. -T-

-T- Founding Member

You can say the exact same thing about college sports, but that opens up a huge discussion on paying players. Players get PLENTY of perks from the school, but once they accept stuff on their own, problems arise. those st. vincent st mary's players get tons of stuff from adidas, but i bet it all goes through the school first. just like lsu football players getting tons of free athletic clothes, but its all on a smaller scale.

3. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

I read somewhere that all the free stuff that adidas has to be returned at the end of the year to the school if it comes to over $100 value.

And I think that would be an interesting can of worms to open. Maybe athletes should be able to get endorsements up to a certain amount.

4. Eleven

Eleven Founding Member

i dont like the idea of the school making all kinds of money off of him...and ESPN making all kinds of money off of him, but...he cant get anything for what HE is doing.

i guess thats exactly whats happening in college aswell....it is kind of a shame

5. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

I always wondered why you never heard about her job. You cannot tell me that the bank did not make a this decision based on his future income. Does anyone really think his mom is going to make the payments?, or that he is going to let her default on a loan? He skirted around the rules which is why they were watching him harder than they would have.

6. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member