Lafayette Grand Theater Shooting

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUTiga, Jul 23, 2015.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

So far, the law says that protesting by holding signs cannot be construed as disturbing the peace as long as they don't trespass.

Since half of them are brainwashed kids doing the bidding their deluded parents, that would not be very pleasant.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Responding to you is like talking to a fence post only the fence post is smarter. I'm not wasting any more time on you.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Sounds good in theory but I don't think it's going to deter anybody. Gangbangers pretty much all have criminal records. It's against the law for them to own a gun. They still all own guns. If you want to be a gangster its one of the tools of the trade. That and the fact that a gangster without a gun is an easy target for a rival gangster with a gun. They are going to prison for whatever crimes they commit as well as the additional time for being a felon in possession of a firearm. Gangbangers steal a lot of guns. Some buy them from other gangbangers but I don't think a longer sentence will make the sellers stop selling.

Bank robbers, convenience store stickup artists. They are committing armed robbery. The sentence for armed robbery is already pretty long. So a bank robber says to himself, "I better not use a gun. I'll just write a note to give to the teller that says I have a gun." Still legally considered armed robbery. Duct tape a cell phone to a box and tell the teller it's a bomb. You have just committed armed robbery.

Keeping a sharp eye for those Coo Coo for Cocoa Puffs might be a good idea if there was a way to do it. A lot of the Looney Tuners don't like to take their meds. OK, how do you make them take them? Make them show up at a probation officer's office 3 or 4 times a day to be force fed their meds? Somebody suggested an app. How would that work? Drooling Dan clicks on the app and laughs demonically that he fooled somebody into thinking he had taken the meds. Even if you make somebody take meds in front of a webcam you know damn well they will either spit them out when they get away from the camera or they will get some kind of placebo pills that look like the real thing.

I'd like for the random shootings to stop as much as anybody else but knee jerk reactions and passing new laws won't stop it.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

It's OK. Now I'm free to call him names too. :p He called me a zealot. If the word zealot means acting with zeal in the defense of our second amendment right to bear arms without infringement I bear the title zealot proudly.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

If you are as pompous and arrogant in real life as you are behind the keyboard it must be a real convenience for your.
    You can visit all your friends by looking in a mirror.

6. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I think what you are missing is that there is a discussion taking place as to what could be done. The answer is certainly not nothing. I'm as right wing as you will find and don't want any rights infringed upon but as I have pointed out, it doesn't look like there is a viable way without doing so. In the end something has to be done, do you have a suggestion? I said back in the S. Carolina thread to just medicate the nut jobs into becoming lettuce for the rest of their lives. Not practical but it is something.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Houser would have been a prime candidate for the lettuce patch. The fact that he had been involuntarily committed to a nut house meant that he shouldn't have been allowed to buy firearms. But the background check didn't turn that up. Probably either a clerical error or a lack of communication between the small town police, the mental institution or the state authorities and the background check system. But even if he had been declined he could have gotten a gun. Red thinks that "buying a gun on the street" means going to the hood and waving around a fistful of dollars but it just don't work that way.

I hate to think we have to have armed guards at every movie theater or public event but maybe something along those lines has become necessary. Not uniformed guards but a trained sniper in plainclothes sitting in the back of the theater with a rifle and a starlight scope for the darkness of a movie theater. Maybe former seals or delta force guys.
    Sort of like the sky marshals on commercial airliners. Somebody pulls out a gun and he's road kill before he can shoot too many people.

8. shane0911

You may watch too much TV.

So let's take this scenario, too many people and I assure you they could get off a spray of bullets before the sniper gets him. Then what?

Well I'm glad you asked, what happens is the families of those injured will now file a suit because the guard didn't do his job

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Just an idea. I know that will never happen but some of those snipers are pretty damn good. Might at least minimize the shooter's kill ratio. The Grand 16 is sure to be sued. They have off duty cops there on Fridays and Saturdays but this was a Thursday. The Cinemax in Colorado got sued but I don't know what the outcome way.

10. shane0911

See, someone should be keeping a close eye on this kid

Screenshot_2015-07-27-19-17-04-1.png