Landing a stud HS QB means very little now

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CagedTiger, Jan 15, 2023.

1. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

The news of 5-star QB Walker Howard hitting the transfer portal this week sent shock waves through Tiger Nation, but apparently it's becoming a common trend. According to On3, almost 50 percent of all D1 teams started the season with a transfer qb and that number is expected to rise.

LSU is a prime example of that with JD and several other SEC teams did the same. Georgia, Tennessee, Ole Miss, Kentucky, Auburn and South Carolina also started transfer qbs this season. In fact, the top three QBs in the class of 2021 - Quinn Ewers, Caleb Williams and Sam Huard - transferred out or are currently in the transfer portal! It's clear to say NIL $$$$ and the transfer portal have changed college football drastically. While it's great to land a stud QB and the big headlines that come with it, the chances of developing that QB and getting him to one day start for your team is very, very unlikely!

TBTrumpet likes this.
  2. TBTrumpet

TBTrumpet Founding Member

It’s better now to get a 2nd or 3rd year to transfer to your school than to recruit one out of high school and hope that person develops and stays. Case in point: Joe Burrow & JD.

Bestbank Tiger, Perple and StaceyO like this.
  3. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

Great point. And you have to have a good eye on spotting talent because Burrow and JD were both backups, I think. JD I think started, but eventually benched at ASU. I'm hearing Alabama's Milroe may be announcing he's transferring very soon.

4. Chipeace

Chipeace Country Roads Tiger

Agreed. It appears that the landscape is changing all the time…..Not too long ago there were signing day celebrations with eager anticipation… Sometimes that was even more exciting than the real games…I still love going to tiger football games but I need a doggone program to know the players.

5. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

I would hate to be the one putting the program together because by the time it goes to the printer and then gets out to the fans, they could realistically have several new players and several others that are no longer on the team. It's just a cluster and it's just getting started!

6. Perple

Perple Founding Member

We'll how Arch Manning does. Tua did pretty well, threw 87 College TDs. Then again, Stetson Bennet has 2 NCs.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
  7. Perple

Perple Founding Member

Daniel's started 29 of the 30 games he was at ASU. He wasn't benched.

ASU 2021 with Daniels: 8-5
    ASU 2022 without Daniels: 3-9

Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
  8. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

National signing day means less and less every year. Verbal commitments are worthless.

HalloweenRun likes this.
  9. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Walker Howard to Ole Miss.

10. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

Where he will continue to ride the pine.

Herb likes this.