Landlords

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by shane0911, May 13, 2015.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I had a large pecan tree that was on both my property and my next door neighbor's property. I loved the tree for the shade and the small but tasty pecans it produced but during Huricane Gustav a limb broke off and damaged my neighbor's roof. After that she was fanatical about cutting it down and I finally agreed reluctanly to split the cost. My mistake was letting her choose the tree surgeon. He did a good enough job of cutting down the tree and everything including cutting down a very small tree next to the pecan tree. He stump ground the pecan tree stump but left the stump of the small tree sticking up a couple of feet above ground. After he had finished grinding the pecan stump and was packing up to leave I asked him wasn't he going to grind the small stump. He wanted another $100 to do that which would have taken him just a few minutes to do. I was pissed and told he to get the hell off my property and that if anybody asked I would give him a bad reference.

My other mistake was that I had already given my share of the money to my neighbor and she had paid the tree guy. It the asshole had still had money coming he would have bent over backwards to do what he should have done anyway.

2. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Retaining walls are a way of life out here. The burden of repair is on the property with the elevation. Code requires it there to protect erosion onto lower elevations.

Don't know, could be the complete opposite in your state. Look up the code for retaining walls. You'll know how to proceed from there.

shane0911 and red55 like this.
  3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

So if I'm reading this right it's the higher home, the one that could fall.

I freaking hate dealing with legal shit.

And thanks

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Just be glad you aren't in California like him where you need a permit for a permit to think about taking a piss. And it takes 6 months. From some idiot that knows nothing about nothing.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

A friend of mine in lala land told me that in California its legal to carry a gun in your car as long as the gun is unloaded and in a locked box in your locked trunk. The bullets have to be in a separate locked box.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Yeah, I hate to toss cold water, but you ain't in California perhaps you better check the city codes. It might get legal very quickly, amigo. If the wall is on your side of the property line, and they are that much higher on the other side, then it was probably your property that made the cut that the wall is retaining. Any failures of that wall that cause problems on the upside may be considered your liability. You need to see if your insurance covers you. The neighbors will have no motivation to pay if it is your problem. And letting them know about the problem could lead to them suing you to do it before you are good and ready.

Just sayin' . . .

7. shane0911

yeah i know. will find out monday

8. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Those bricks that wal mart sells may be a good answer. Not sure how long the property line is. You'd have to have them at least 3 high, I'd think. Possibly much more, depending on how much elevation. The type of soil would matter too. Some types erode much more than others.

9. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Like this. They come in different colors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. shane0911

More like this

wall.jpg

It is about 4' high and has to hold a lot of dirt. Stacking up decorative bricks would just not cut the mustard.

red55 likes this.