Lane and baseball this past year

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by DeafValleyBatnR, Feb 8, 2003.

1. DeafValleyBatnR

DeafValleyBatnR Founding Member

First off I think Lane is a good person and loves LSU and will regret his dicision to go to Ole Miss the rest of his life.

But Last year Lane was a part of a Dixie baseball team that was going to the World Series that was in Monroe and obviously he was the Stud on that team. Robert Lane left the team and did not play in the World Series because he went to the Elite 11 Camp in California. I am sorry but if my child is part of a team He will not let that team down by doing something like that. It seems that Lane is kind of selfish.

How do ya'll feel about this maybe I am being a little tuff. The Team did win without him.

2. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

The way I feel is that he should be selfish. I hear people on the radio and on message boards blasting Lane for being a punk with no integrity in his commitments. Everyone needs to understand that these are just 18 year old kids that are making HUGE decisions that will shape their lives. They only get to make this decision once. Why did any of you choose to go to LSU? Ultimately, it comes down to bettering yourself in order to more adequately support YOURSELF. He isnt trying to please LSU fans, and no athlete should ever make a life decision to please fans. You only get one shot at life. He should do what he feels is in his best interests; God knows I would. We need to lay off all these kids, they werent put here to make us cheer.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

You are so right MobileBengal I was excited about Lane playing for LSU when I first heard that he was a Bret Fahve type QB but the kid is 18 years old and is faced with making decisions that will affect the rest of his life Just because Joe Tigerfan whether he be doctor, lawyer, plumber, whatever who bleeds purple and gold and plunks down his hard earned bucks for season tickets might think that anybody who dosen't sign with LSU is an idiot who should be tarred and feathered and strung up from the nearest phone pole just because he takes advantage of his opportunities instead of dedicating his life to entertaining the ticketholders Get a life! Look at it like this What if you were 18 years old and were a wiz at whatever you might be good at Lets say you were a talented computer geek and LSU offered you and scholarship in computer science but then you get a call from Bill Gates and he says "Hey kid, you are good enough already. You don't need college. I'll give you a $3 million signing bonus and a million a year to come work for Microsoft right now" Anybody who says they would turn that down is lying through their teeth. Lay off Robert Lane I wanted to see him in Tiger Stadium as much as anybody. He played his cards the best that he and his advisors could do. I can understand why he wanted to be assured that the wouldn't have to compete with two other top ranked QBs just like I understand that Nick Saban had to go after JaMarcus Russell in order to make sure that he had 2 quality recruits at QB this year who he could count of being there in August. Lane had that extra bargaining chip of being an almost sure first round pick in the baseball draft that Flynn and Russell don't have. Michigan had counted on Drew Henson to be the QB to lead them to the promised land. He is now in the New York Yankee farm system. If Lane were really serious about wanting to play college football why would he sign with Ole Miss? Once he decided not to sign with LSU he could have gone to Miami, Florida, Florida State, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Southern California or wherever he wanted Why Ole Miss? He just wanted to have a fallback option in case he has a poor season in his last year of baseball at Neville and falls through the cracks in the BB draft. He made the right move in (pardon the baseball pun) covering all his bases. I wanted to see him on Saturday night in Tiger Stadium as much as anybody but all the posts bashing him as a traitor to the state make me want to puke

4. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

People are not calling him a traitor. There are a few that are disappointed that he will not be coming to LSU, but I think most are just glad that after his actions and comments late in the recruiting cycle LSU got Russell and Flynn instead of Lane and Flynn. I can understand that he could not commit to LSU 100% yet, but I could not understand why he would complain about possible competition so late in the game when he could never say for sure he would be at LSU. It is not like Saban just started to recruit Russell in Jan. He was at the Alabama or Ole Miss game on an unofficial visit, and I am sure there was contact before that as well.

5. DeafValleyBatnR

DeafValleyBatnR Founding Member

I agree

with the reason that he decided to go to Ole Miss I have defended him on local radio but when you think of him leaving a team that depended on him all summer to get to the World Series then to leave the team, sorry I dont agree with that. Which comes back to where we are today is this all in the same? Should we see a pattern here and does this show that we did get the right guy in the end.

6. CURT05

CURT05 Freshman

BUT WHAT DOES IT PROFIT--

A MAN ,TO GAIN THE WORLD AND LOSE HIS SOUL. I SAY LET'S CALL THE SHERIFF"S DEPT. HAVE THEM PUT RUSSELL AND FLYNN UNDER A PEACE BOND ,THEN INVITE LANE TO COME TO LSU.

7. ronbono

ronbono Founding Member

Lane to me seems to be afraid of competition and selfish. He wanted Saban to commit to him, by not recruiting Russell but he wouldn't commit to Saban by promising he wouldn't sign with a baseball team. What did he expect,Saban to take a chance with him going pro and only wind up with one QB. Is he more important than the whole LSU football team? I don't think so. Hope he has a lot of fun in Oxford and at the Indy Bowl.

8. CURT05

CURT05 Freshman

THE REST OF THE STORY

IMSURE BOB LANE IS AN OUTSTANDING KID AND HONESTLY WISH HIM THE BEST. BUT UNLESS YOU READ THE ARTICLE IN THE MONROE MORNING WORLD AND KNEW THE HISTORY OF HIS DAD AT LSU THEN I BELIEVE YOU MIGHT NOT BE SO GENEROUS ABOUT THEIR INTENTIONS.:D

9. JDog

JDog Freshman

Lane - Still LSU @ Heart?

Just a theory but.....
    Maybe Lane is still a Tiger in his heart. Maybe he decided there was too much $$ on the table with baseball that he couldn't pass it up without a sure thing with Football at LSU (even not being scared of competition, he was not going to get that much $$ out of football) So he decides to go with Baseball. But, to show his LSU brethren no hard feelings, he steals one of Ole Piss's schollies and gets their hopes up of having a good backup for Eli when he leaves. So now, LSU gets a premier QB in Russel/Flynn, Lane gets his $$ in the MLB and Ole Miss gets SCREWED. I say good work!!

10. CURT05

CURT05 Freshman

WOWEEEEEEEEEEE

I SURE HOPE YOU ARE RIGHT AS I WOULD HAVE RATHER HE WENT ANYWHERE BUT OM. I TO HAVE A FEELING HE WILL NEVER SUIT UP FOR FB.:D