Lane or Clay

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TomE, Jun 5, 2005.

1. TomE

TomE Founding Member

Now that were in an unfavorable situation, who do we start vs North Western. I originally thought we would have to start Clay Dirks, but that may not be the case. North Western only be Marist by a run, so maybe we could save Dirks by pitching Lane or Determine. I know this is a must win and we sould probably start Dirks but does anyone think its a possibility to save him.

2. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

I'd go with Dirks against NSU and hope like hell he can go all the way, or get a big lead so we don't have to use Determann.

I'd start Determann tonight against Rice.

I would go with Mestepey tomorrow, should we get there.

3. ScottyB28

ScottyB28 Founding Member

I think its very possible. Smoke is the coach and he should know who to start besides Clay so he can be saved for Rice. The only problem is I dont think Smoke knows who to start. If he doesnt start Clay, he's got to have a short chain on whoever is out there.

4. ScottyB28

This sounds kinda good. We would really have to hit the ball with Mesty in there because Rice would hit him hard.

5. TigerWins

I just don't think you can gamble in an elimination game. Go with your best arms to win, then worry about who pitches against Rice tonight.

There is no next game for Dirks to pitch if we lose to NSU...

6. JVincent25

JVincent25 Founding Member

NW St.- Ramirez + English. Between these two guys we should easily get 9 good innings agains the Demons. The bats are going to come out on fire. We should win this one easily.

Rice #1- Dirks. Rice is going to be throwing Degerman, we are going to need someone to be able to match him pitch for pitch. I think we should just worry about getting to Monday's game then figuring it out from there.

Rice #2- Lane Mestepey. There is no way that he does not win this game. It just makes too much sense. Rice will either be throwing a tired Greer (who threw 112 pitches on Friday, so highly unlikely) or someone out of their pen.

That is what I would do. Smoke might go Mesty-Dirks-anyone and everyone. Not having Dirks against Rice would be suicidal though IMO.

7. ScottyB28

All we have to do is hit the damn ball and we can beat Rice with anyone of our pitchers.

8. TigerWins

I think we can all agree with that ... need some timely and big hits today!

Off to The Box .. hopefully I won't be back on here till late tonight!

GEAUX TIGERS!

9. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

It's a double edged sword with Mestey. He's been very inconsistent this year and basically anytime you start him in this regional your at risk. Odds are he'd have a better shot at beating NSU. But, the other side is that if LSU makes it to Monday, he's been a big game pitcher many times in his career. He has the experience. This is atough one. I'd go with Determan against the lesser oppenent in NWST. You should beat them on talent alone. Pitch Dirks to force the last game. Pitch Mestey Monday.

10. JVincent25

JVincent25 Founding Member

Why only use Determann once for 5 innings, when you can use him twice for 3 innings (if needed)? It doesn't make much sense to me. Ramirez or English (who both have been pretty good all year IMO) would be fine starting today. As long as they don't give up 8 runs I think we win because the bats should come out on fire after that fiasco last night.