LANE SAYS HE WILL NOT COMMIT TO LSU IF

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by DeafValleyBatnR, Jan 24, 2003.

1. DeafValleyBatnR

DeafValleyBatnR Founding Member

Robert Lane was on KNOE TV tonight in Monroe and said he will not go to LSU if Jamarcus Russell commits to LSU. He said that he would not go to a 3 QB situation as a Freshman.

http://www.knoe.com/sports_story_2.html

2. BigJ4LSU

BigJ4LSU Founding Member

Looks like someone is not as confident in his abilities as say the other 2 seem to be. Russell and Flynn have both stated they are not afraid. Seems like Lan is afraid of the competition. I am not slamming the guy, but if he knows he is better than the other two than why does it matter?

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I agree with TigerSaint. Lane has done nothing to dispel talk that he'll go to baseball if the pick is high enough. Saban is only protecting his flanks. Pick up the phone and tell the coaches that you're coming to LSU regardless of the ML draft or just shut up. LSU will survive with or without Robert Lane. I would like to see him in the purple and gold, though.

4. TennesseeTiger

TennesseeTiger Founding Member

I have two observations. I'll make then short and succint.

1) How can Lane expect LSU to not recruit another QB when he's said that he'll bolt for MLB if drafted highly. If LSU has to take some risks, he should also. That's part of the adult world. I truly hope he goes to LSU. There's no better story than a kid who has emotional ties to a college becoming the star QB. If he chooses to go somewhere else, I wish him the best. But I hope he wears the purple and gold and I hope he beats all other QBs to be the starter.

2) Did anyone at KNOE proofread that webpage? It looks like whoever wrote it was in a big hurry and didn't bother with capitalization, punctuation or spelling...are we even sure that it's legit?

5. TigerLifer3

TigerLifer3 Founding Member

its true.....

it was all over the news in Monroe, and I talked to assistant coach at Neville and he says that LSU told robert they would only take 2 quarterbacks, 3 is more than 2. Just reading between the lines I think Robert feels like he has been lied to, and he dosen't like it, but just like everybody is saying if he wouldn't done like Saban and say he wouldn't play baseball he would be a tiger and LSU would be done recruiting QB's.

This brings up another question.... which 2 would you rather have Matt Flynn, Robert Lane, or JaMarcus Russell?? why?? or why not??

my answer would be Lane and Flynn simply because they were the two who committed first and shown the most interest in LSU. but then again, never know about Lane's Baseball stuff either, and that is where JaMarcus fits in.

6. TennesseeTiger

I would take...

Lane and Flynn. Because they committed early. To me, that's a statement that they are picking the school and not just window shopping. I personally have been hoping that Russell commits to FSU this weekend. I think that's a good possibility since they're in dire need. They can promise (and more ably deliver) a starting role sooner than LSU. Don't get me wrong, I can't stand FSU or Bowden, but from what I've heard about Lane, he's the real deal. I think he and Flynn would be a great tandem of QBs for us. I've heard a lot of rumblings about Russell...he's just in it for himself. I want someone that wants to win for LSU...not just to showcase themselves. I saw that happen up here in Knoxville with Kelly "The Future" Washington. I don't want to see my Tigers get a player like that. I want to see team players.

7. Wilson

Wilson Freshman

Tigerlifer3 raises a great question. I haven't seen Lane play but I'd have to say he is my favorite, being a La. product. Like to see him honor his commitment, I would also understand if MLB gets his attention this June. This looks like KNOE may lean towards hyperbole.

Thank you Nick Saban for giving us these types of problems! Any way you look at it we can't lose. We are counting on Flynn whom my Tyler relative describes as "SPECIAL" and we are on the short list of Russell - one of the best QB's in the country. Heck, thinking longterm, Lane would be lucky to be in a situation like that. Kids have doubts and want assurances, but Saban is doing what is right for us. Lane will certainly learn from this and he'll be better for it, hopefully in a yellow hat!

8. EELSU1

EELSU1 Founding Member

I have not heard anywhere that Saban will only take 2 QB's. It doesn't make sense that LSU is recruiting Russell this hard, to then possibly tell Lane or Flynn they can't have a scholarship? No way.

Lane seems to want an assurance from LSU that he will be the # 1 QB prospect coming in, but in turn he's unable to assure LSU that he won't go play baseball.

I hope this all works out. Lane is a LSU kid all the way, and I'd love to see him at LSU even if Russell commits to LSU.

9. TennesseeTiger

Perchance did you mean "gold"?

10. PaulP

PaulP Founding Member

Let's see, Lane says he will not commit if Russell and Flynn do or if he is drafted early by the MBA. This guy seems to have too much on his plate for a team that's in dire need of a good QB. As President Bush would say,"either you're with us or not." How bad does he want to be a Tiger? Well his desire has obvious stipulations. We don't need any half-ass Tigers.