LANE SAYS HE WILL NOT COMMIT TO LSU IF

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by DeafValleyBatnR, Jan 24, 2003.

1. DeafValleyBatnR

DeafValleyBatnR Founding Member

Lane

Paul Lane said he was not real thrilled about Flynn being recruited but he would not go to LSU if Russell Committed. But my question for Lane is Flynn was Committed before Lane committed so whats your problem there.

I spoke to a division 1A coach who has seen both play and he said that Flynn is every bit as good as Lane. I just hope Russell commits because this might mean Lane will go somewhere else because he is mad or he is looking for a way out so he can go the MLB way. I am sure that some pro teams have been in contact with his dad and they know where he stands at this point. The fact that Lane has the potential of play Pro Football and Baseball makes the Pro Baseball people look at drafting him High enough so that they can offer enough money. If he was just a great Baseball player he could be drafted lower and it would not matter. That is why Booty got Drafted so High he was nowhere near the Talent of a Top 5 draft pic.

2. Wilson

Wilson Freshman

Perchance did you mean "gold"?

Yes, sorry, Gold. It's the football team though, they got me saying that 19 years ago (OMG). It's sort of stuck with me.

3. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

I hear good thing here about Flynn. Plus he has stood firm even with the commitment of a higher rated in QB in Lane, recruitment of a higher rated QB in Russell, and the renewed recruitment by A&M with their new coach.

As for Lane if he plays pro baseball he needs to make sure he still plays football. Just look at the other football high school QB greats that went exclusively to pro baseball and did not make it. They did get a lot of money up front, but they would have more than made up for it three years later in the NFL He should take less money now and still play football. He could pull a Drew Henson and go exclusive after one or two years in college if his Baseball career looks more promising. Though I still hear that Drew is struggling a little and would have been a top pick in the NFL.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

That's true. The Yankees signed Ventura for another year because Henson is not ready yet (if he'll ever be). The word is that he is struggling with Double-A pitching. Look at Deion, MJ and others. Fantastic, top of the line, world class athletes. But, to paraphrase JD at Free Speech Alley: "You've got to be able to hit the curve ball at that level".

5. ok awesome

ok awesome geaux

A lot of people have said that Michael Jordan hitting .205 with 5 homers and 40 stolen bases while playing excellent defense was highly impressive considering the fact that it was his first year playing pro baseball after not playing for over 10 years. Some people think if he would have stuck with it for 2 or 3 years he may have been a decent outfielder.

6. SabanFan

.205??!! That's not going to keep you around very long at any level of pro baseball. The only reason he stayed with the Birmingham Bulls as long as he did was that he let them use his bus.

7. ok awesome

ok awesome geaux

I don't know if you watch baseball but there are lots of players who hit .205 in Rookie ball. Jordan was playing AA ball after about 15 years of not playing baseball, a .205 average at that point was actually pretty good considering.

8. SabanFan

But. How many of them make it to "The Show"?

9. Hub

Hub Founding Member

Off the subject but an interesting note. I had never heard this before until a week or 2 ago but found it to be an interesting theory. Most people including myself found it was odd that Jordan went and played baseball.....hadn't played it since high school days so why now? Anyway, a "rumor" is that Jordan had gotten in trouble with the NBA for gambling/point shaving on Bulls games. The NBA found out about it but kept a very tight lid on it. Rather than make it public and destroy the NBA and sports in general......it's most prized possession, most popular athlete in history, biggest idol to younger kids ever getting caught fixing games. Jordan's 2 year absence from the NBA (his stint in minor league baseball) was his suspension for the gambling/p.s. I found it to be a really interesting theory.....Jordan is known for being a big time gambler.

Just food for thought.

10. SabanFan

I sure wish it could be proven. Man, I would love to see a few chinks in Jordan's armor. I rarely watch Sportscenter any more because they have always got to dedicate time to MJ. His time has passed and I wish he'd just go away.