LANE SAYS HE WILL NOT COMMIT TO LSU IF

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by DeafValleyBatnR, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Hub

Hub Founding Member

I heard this on a local sports talk show. the host was interviewing a nba beat-writer as he does every week b/c of the Hornets presence in La. a caller got them off of the subject of nba onto pete rose's reinstatement. during that conversation either the host or beat-writer brought up MJ and the "rumor"......both had heard it before based on the way they talked about it. What got me about it was they were real quick to criticize Rose for what he did and mentioned the potential MJ situation almost in passing.......hypocricy at it's best.

2. ok awesome

ok awesome geaux

Jason LeRue - C - Reds - Rookie BA - .192
    Barry Bonds - LF - Pirates - Rookie BA - .223
    Julio Franco - SS - Phillies - Rookie BA - .201 (Career .300 hitter)
    Ken Caminiti - 3B - Astros - Rookie BA - .174 (Former NL MVP)
    Mike Sweeney - 1B - Royals - Rookie BA - .211 (Hit .340 this year)

I could go on and on..

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

How many of them were nearing 40 when they played their 1st minor league game. Anyway, we are gettin away from my original point. IMO a guy in Lane's situation, like Booty and Henson, would be better off playing some college ball. The Major Leagues will be there in a couple of years if baseball wins out.

4. Hub

Hub Founding Member

If it were me. On one hand i go to school and play football & baseball in college. On the other hand I go to school and play baseball (pro) with $ in my pocket. Unless i was just dead set on playing football i would go for the money. This is all contingent on the bonus being north of $1.5 million.

You could go to college and end up not being that good and that $1.5 million turn into $15,000 or $0. I doubt it would go up....once you are in college they have you over a barrel. this way they don't know what they are getting but you do.

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Actually, it's up to the individual. Whatever makes him/her happy. Booty wished he had gone to LSU out of HS. But, hindsight is 20/20. I think Lane has the talent to do whatever he wants to do. That's why I think he should give football a chance. If he elects to take the $$, he'll always wonder what would have happened at LSU. If, however, he goes to LSU,baseball will still be there for him after his Junior season.

6. GeauxTigers

GeauxTigers Founding Member

Personally I'd like to see Flynn, Lane and Russell. But, if I had to limit it to two, they'd be Russell and Flynn.
    Lane doesn't seem to be committed to Football, much less LSU. He's still waiting out the Baseball draft. That's not a problem, he should explore all his options, but don't say you're "committing" to LSU (or any other team), when it's obvious (even before the comments last week) that you're not committed, just interested.
    It's not as if on Feb 5th he'd have a problem contacting any of the schools who've made offers to him and signing.

In the immortal words of Master Yoda..."Do or Do Not, There is No Try!":cool:

7. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

Well said. Ditto.

8. ok awesome

ok awesome geaux

Personally, I'd go play baseball. If you're given 1 million dollars, you take it. He could blow his knee out in the first practice at LSU and be ruined for life. Look at McGahee he lost millions in one play. You take your million and if it doesnt work out you can always go back a la Booty Mauck Weinke etc.

9. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Lane should say he's 100% committed to playing football for LSU like earlier posts said and then Russell would probably sign with FSU. However, baseball will not always be there, or at least the millions won't. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for Lane and he will probably always wonder "what if" whether he decides to play for LSU or not. It's human nature. I think McGahee's policy was for $2.5 million and the article I read made it sound a bit unprecedented to be that high. Obviously, if he plays in the NFL he won't collect. I don't think Lane would be able to get one as a true freshman competing for a starting job. Does anyone know more specifically how this works?

10. Hub

Hub Founding Member

I don't think he could get a policy. He is going into college with "potential" behind his name.......nothing proven yet. the guys in college who get the policies have to be projected 1st or 2nd round picks and eligible to delcare for the draft.