Largest college stadiums???

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Goldmember, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Goldmember

Goldmember Founding Member

Speaking of Attendance, someone please give me a rundown of the current top ten largest stadiums in America. If I'm not mistaken, did'nt we fall to #6 after an expansion @ the Horseshoe or Sanford? :confused: :confused:

2. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

Michigan, Michigan Stadium 107,501
    Penn State, Beaver Stadium 106,537
    Tennessee, Neyland Stadium 104,079
    Ohio State, Ohio Stadium 101,568
    UCLA, Rose Bowl 95,000
    USC, L.A. Memorial Coliseum 92,000
    LSU, Tiger Stadium 91,600
    Georgia, Sanford Stadium 86,520
    Auburn, Jordan-Hare Stadium 86,063
    Stanford, Stanford Stadium 85,500

Link

Is not up to date though as Georgia is at 92k right now though....not sure about the others

3. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

This number confuses me. Not because it is incorrect but because that is the official capacity listed on Tennesee's official website. The confusing part is the following:

http://utsports.collegesports.com/genrel/081001aaa.html
    What got me thinking about this was I could have sworn that during this past week's UT/FL game they announced an attendance over 109k. Here it is listed on the website:
    How do you get 109,061 people into 104,079 seats? :confused:

4. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

I have no idea.....was just posting what the site said

5. LSUGradin99

Yeah I know that. I just recalled my reaction to hearing the 109k attendance on tv this past weekend and thinking that number sounded a good bit high.. At the time, I was thinking their stadium seated a little over 100k.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Why is Penn State's stadium called Beaver Stadium when the team nickname is Nittany Lions? What is a Nittany?

7. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

I'm guessing that they just squeeze more people into the bleachers. LSU does it all the time. I believe the seating is 91,600 and they are constantly breaking the 92,000 mark.

8. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

I was wondering that exact same thing just the other day.

9. LSUGradin99

I had looked this up a long time ago. Penn State University is near Mount Nittany, where mountain lions are common.

I have no idea why they call it Beaver Stadium though.

10. LSUBud

LSUBud Founding Member

The "secret" to Neyland's size is --

the 6" A$$ seat.

After going to LSU's last game in Neyland, I wrote a complaint letter to the SEC offices. I complained of the completely inappropriate "seat size" in Neyland Stadium.

I suggested that the SEC should pass a rule requiring that each seat be at least a certain size, and that all seats in Neyland should be investigated.

I also suggested that as a start, the SEC should pass a rule saying that no seat in any SEC stadium could be any smaller than the that team's Head Coach's A$$. I assured the SEC office that Neyland would go from sitting 106,000 to sitting less than 65,000 OVER NIGHT!

Seriously though -- the seat size in Neyland is a COMPLETE F*(&KING JOKE. Last time, our group brought 16 people to Neyland. The next time we go up, we will get 1.5X's the number of seats we need. So, if we go back with 16 people, we'll get 24 seats for those people. We'll set up stadium chairs at either end and everyone else can sit in between. I'LL BET THAT WE'LL STILL BE CROWDED.