LaRon Landy over Jack Hunt for All-SEC

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUstudent, Dec 9, 2003.

1. LSUstudent

LSUstudent Founding Member

LaRon is a stud and will be one of the greatest defensive Tigers by the time his career is over, but I think it's ashame that he got second-team All-SEC honors OVER jack hunt. Jack is the leader of our defense and he is like having a coach on the field. Without him, our defense would suck it up against audible calling teams (i.e. Florida)

Congrats to LaRon though and all the other Tiger all-SEC players!

2. urtoosmall

urtoosmall Founding Member

a shame?

it seemed to me than Laron got in a lot more plays than Jack Hunt did over the course of the year......

3. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

Jack Hunt is a great player, but LaRon Landry was the real difference maker in that defense this year. His emergence allowed Saban to move Travis Daniels back to the corner...that allows Saban to pick and choose his blitz schemes, and in what situations he uses them, because he's confident in both of his corners. Depth-wise, the fact that he was ready to play as a true freshman also allowed Saban to permanently move safety-type guys like Adrian Mayes and Eric Alexander in the preseason to LB, where their tremendous speed can be used to greater advantage. As a result, LSU has maybe the deepest and fastest (as well as most underrated) LB corps in the SEC.

4. BasileTiger

BasileTiger Founding Member

LaRon is amazing

All LaRon did was lead the team in tackling as a freshman. His talent is off the chart. No wonder he was considered the best athlete in Louisiana coming out of Hahnville last year!

5. JVincent25

JVincent25 Founding Member

This guy is a true freshman. He is going to be so amazing by the time hes a junior, will be probably the best saftey. He isn't in the Roy Williams/Sean Taylor mode because he isn't that big and he doesn't hit as hard as the two of them, but he would dust either of them. He is a future All-American for sure.

6. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Jack Hunt was the leader but Landry was the better player during the SEC schedule. 61 of his 76 tackles came during SEC games. He played minimally during the first 4 games only getting mop-up duty but was starting during the SEC.

They are both great players, though, and it's too bad that one had to miss out.

7. Russell Durham

Russell Durham Founding Member

What's scary is Daryl Johnson from O.P. Walker was considered to be the better of the two coming out of high school. If he ever gets his grades in order then you have him and Jesse Daniels plus likely one or two of the best safeties coming out this year (Craig Steltz and Tony Bell) Not to mention Spadoni who had to sit out this year.

8. DJ

DJ Founding Member

What bothered me most about the AP all-SEC team was the omission of Marquise Hill. He should at least have been on the second team, and he did not even get honorable mention.

I don't think there is that much of a gap between Hill and Spears, who was rightly on the first team.