Larry Eustachy (sp?) Iowa St.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by geauxscott, Apr 30, 2003.

1. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member

just heard a live press conference on ESPN radio where he came out and admitted he is an alcoholic. It was a pretty emotional press conference. He admitted that he got on a plane sober for the first time in 25years this week. He apologized to everyone and said that he could never apoligize enough for the embarassment he has caused Iowa St. His wife said a few words in total support and pleaded that he deserves a second chance, and I totally agree. He seems like a really good guy and said he was getting help for himself.

Good Job Larry!!!

2. TomyDingo

TomyDingo Founding Member

first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

3. SoonerLeigh

SoonerLeigh Founding Member

Iowa State AD Recommends Firing Larry Eustachy

Bruce Van De Velde, Athletic Director, Iowa State, announced this afternoon at a press conference on ESPN News, that he has formally recommended the termination of Larry Eustachy as head basketball coach.

There is an appeal process that Eustachy may use if he wishes to follow procedure.

4. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

I feel like he is onlt apologizing because he got caught doing something that he shouldn't have been doing. I seriously doubt that he felt 'remorseful' the night after the party and is only apologizing now because there were pictures taken of him in a situation he should have never been in.

5. BigJ4LSU

BigJ4LSU Founding Member

is this the same guy who used to coach with Brady?

6. J_Oats

J_Oats Founding Member

I don't think he did anything to get himself fired, that AD is a jackass.

7. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member

I agree, he did nothing illegal. He did make some bad decisions but everyone makes bad decisions. He did not deserve to lose his job.
    I mean, come on, we let a president who had sexual relations with a woman in the WHITE HOUSE, stay in office. And they are going to fire a college basketball coach for drinking and kissing girls on the cheek. Give me a break!!!

I know that this kinda stuff can hurt recruiting efforts but I believe they should give him a second chance. and from what I have heard the players agree and have talked to the AD about it.

8. tiger777

tiger777 Founding Member

thats bullshit they shouldn't fire him for going to a party.

9. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Come on guys. Put yourself in their shoes. Imagine the uproar if after the loss this year at Auburn, Saban was pictured at an Auburn fraternity party with Auburn football players drinking beer and kissing Auburn girls. Do you think that it would be OK then? Eustacy is the highest paid public employee in the state of Iowa. He has to have better judgement and should be held to a higher standard than everyone else.

10. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

IMO he needs to be given a second chance. I'd love to peek into the AD's closet. He appears to be a sanctimonious SOB who's pandering to the corn farmers. At the very least he should have taken the high road (like Mal Moore) and not state his position until all of the facts are in.