Larry Porter to be named HC at Memphis

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Bengal Buddy, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

SEC Network just announced Coach Porter to be named new HC at Memphis. I hate to see him go, but I wish him the best of luck. The question is how will this affect Seastrunk's decision?

2. phi1514

phi1514 Founding Member

Larry Porter to Memphis as HC...Has the Staff Purging Begin?

Just announced on the SEC network (Ole Miss vs. State) that Larry Porter has accepted the HC position at Memphis. Apparently this is his alma mater. Is this the beginning of the purging of the coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball? We all know that Miles helped Peveto and Mallory find jobs elsewhere last year. At this point, I can only hope we bring in a real offensive genius (not a pseudo one like Crowton) and top notch offensive staff that can coach up our young QBs, RBs, O-LINE, etc.

3. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

Re: Larry Porter to Memphis as HC...Has the Staff Purging Begin?

Porter would have been a keeper - not a purge. This one will hurt our recruiting this year more than anything. Wish Porter much success. He has been a great Tiger.

4. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

Talking to folk in Lubbock yesterday and they were saying Jerry (Gray) had told them he wasn't a done deal. Now I know why.

5. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

WOW. i definitely heard he was staying in BR. ain't that a thang!?

EDIT - i really, really, really, really hope this doesn't hurt with the recruitment of kenny hilliard out of patterson. i've seen this kid run and he is something special. could be better than his dad (dalton) and cousin (ike.) kid's only a JR this year and has the propensity to fumble a lot. but he's a junior, and not too interested in LSU, but i heard that he really liked porter.

i don't purport to know crap about recruiting, but the kid lives a couple miles from me and he's somewhat the talk of the town. speaking with a few of his cousins and teammates, he doesn't seem too high on LSU. of course he's probably just trying to be "cool." his school seems to have a severe disdain for LSU for some reason. did LSU not recruit Ike or something? haha.

6. paducahmichael

paducahmichael Tiger Band Class of '73

Congrats to Coach Porter and many thanks for all the help. He'll always be a Tiger...just a Tiger of a different stripe. :geaux:

1 person likes this.
  7. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

He was the best recruiter we had. He shall be missed.

8. ROY_LA_CA

ROY_LA_CA Founding Member

In the long term, it will help LSU having Poter move up to become a HC as it will sure demonstrate that LSU is a great place to grow at and make it easier to attract a great replacement for any open positions we will have. Let's hope that it helps us to attract a great OC and staff. Come on Les, let's get some great coaches for next year.

9. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

which is what i was hinting at. as it is, i feel that our RBs are underutilized. how is this going to affect prospective backs from giving LSU a serious look? we may luck up with kenny (being a jr.,) but what about lache seastrunk or the others? sucks. i feel we could have paid porter more than memphis can as a HC. not that i don't want him to have the opportunity, but we are having serious offensive problems and you don't want good coaches leaving right now, IMO. as it is, DJ McCarthy doesn't appear too happy. wasn't he the only coach without a significant pay-raise the last few seasons?

10. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

Love me some Porter. There is nothing wrong with his decision to go from a positions coach to a head coach position at the school that he played RB for.

I wish him the very best of luck and thank him for everything that he's done here.:thumb: