Last Leg of Osamacare Signup

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUTiga, Mar 12, 2014.

1. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

Are you just assuming the numbers are good then?

8 million enrolled. 8 million - x actually paid. That is my answer.

Carney doesn't know how many. He says the opposition doesn't know. The opposition says that they do know. I don't even give a crap what the number is. I don't think it crucifies or justifies Obamacare.

I think Jay Carney is a fucking tool and his quote proves it.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

That's what I thought.

Nobody knows the valid answer. So Carney tells the truth. If he made an educated guess and it turned out wrong, he would certainly be "crucified". The "opposition" claims that 67 percent have paid by April 15, although they can't validate those numbers.

But two thirds paid up within two weeks of the deadline for signing up is not bad. People tend to not pay before they actually owe payments and late signees have until May 15 to pay for the first month of coverage. Many will pay by then. Others may have found a better plan in the individual marketplace, 42% of privately insured people change plans each year. Many poor people are still trying to find a way to pay when they don't have checking accounts or credit cards. Some insurers are addressing that problem by partnering with CVS/pharmacy, which recently announced it's establishing a program to enable people to pay their insurance bills at CVS cash registers. It is unlikely that 100% will ever pay and become eligible, Hell, in 2013, before the ACHA marketplace existed, only 90 percent of enrollees in the individual marketplace paid.

3. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

4. MLUTiger

Why haven't the Republicans been successful in creating a solution if it's so easy?

red55 likes this.
  5. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

First the employer's insurance isn't a mandate that carries a penalty for not joining. If someone joins a company after the sign up period they can get company insurance.
    Finally not participating is an option that any employee can use.
    Insurance is a benefit that companies provide their employees not a forced policy that is used for social engineering.

shane0911 and gyver like this.
  6. red55

ALL group insurance policies have an annual sign-up period and always have. Without it, deadbeats would wait until they have a serious illness before signing up. ACHA penalties have nothing to do with this standard insurance company policy. Deadbeats who paid no attention to the signup period will have to wait for the next one and pay the penalty. I bet they don't miss the next one.

What "social engineering"?

7. MLUTiger

Insurance has open enrollment periods. If you miss it, you cannot enroll, drop or change it until the next year absent certain life-changing events such as someone getting pregnant.

The rest of your post is bullshit and off topic to the question asked. If you don't like it, blame the Republicans. It was their idea.

8. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

@red55 @MLUTiger Both of you re read my post. I did NOT say there was open enrollment after the sign up period for private business EXCEPT for new hires who can enroll. I did just 2 years ago when I started a new job in March. Can new citizens sign up when they become citizens?????

My greater point is that employer enrollment is VOLUNTARY and the Obamacare is NOT. The morphing of health care from a benefit to a right is one of the ideas I find problematic. I see it further changing to the failed government run systems that are driving us broke.

BTW it was a Heritage Foundation suggestion not a Republican to be accurate. In any case I don't claim to be tied to every policy the Rs hold. I would be surprised if either of you agree to every tenant the Ds put forth. I hold to the idea that is my tag line about foolish consistency being the hobgoblin of weak minds......

9. red55

Of course!There are a number of exceptions that cover just about anybody that didn't simply fail to get it done it time.

The following life events will generally qualify you for a special enrollment period.

• You signed up for the marketplace, but were unable to complete the enrollment process for any reason (until mid-April 2014)
    • Getting married
    • Having, adopting, or placement of a child
    • Permanently moving to a new area that offers different health plan options
    • Losing other health coverage (for example due to a job loss, divorce, loss of eligibility for Medicaidor CHIP, expiration of COBRA coverage, or a health plan being decertified). Note: Voluntarily quitting other health coverage or being terminated for not paying your premiums are not considered loss of coverage. Losing coverage that is not minimum essential coverage is also not considered loss of coverage.)
    • For people already enrolled in Marketplace coverage, having a change in income or household status that affects eligibility for tax credits or cost-sharing reductions
    • An individual, who was not previously a citizen, national, or lawfully present individual gains such status.
    • A qualified individual's enrollment or non-enrollment in a QHP is unintentional, inadvertent, or erroneous and is the result of the error, misrepresentation, or inaction of an officer, employee, or agent of the Exchange or HHS, or its instrumentalities as evaluated and determined by the Exchange.
    • An enrollee adequately demonstrates to the Exchange that the QHP in which he or she is enrolled substantially violated a material provision of its contract in relation to the enrollee.
    • An individual is determined newly eligible or newly ineligible for advance payments of the premium tax credit or has a change in eligibility for cost-sharing reductions, regardless of whether such individual is already enrolled in a QHP. The Exchange must permit individuals whose existing coverage through an eligible employer-sponsored plan will no longer be affordable or provide minimum value for his or her employer's upcoming plan year to access this special enrollment period prior to the end of his or her coverage through such eligible employer-sponsored plan.
    • An Indian, as defined by section 4 of the Indian Health Care Improvement Act, may enroll in a QHP or change from one QHP to another one time per month.
    • A qualified individual or enrollee demonstrates to the Exchange, in accordance with guidelines issued by HHS, that the individual meets other exceptional circumstances as the Exchange may provide.
    Try to remember that the ACHA insurance is administered by private companies. It is NOT a "government-run system". Open enrollment periods are policies of the the private insurance companies.

MLUTiger likes this.
  10. MLUTiger

Yes. Also if you lose your job, change jobs, have a kid, etc.

It is voluntary, just like car insurance and taxes. Being voluntary doesn't mean without consequence, though.

pə-ˈtā-tō, pə-ˈta-tō. You're splitting hairs and you lost any chance at that argument when the Republicans marched into Washington DC with that plan held high, waving it over their heads as the solution to healthcare after Hillary dropped Single Payer on them.

Why would I agree to every Democrat policy? I'm not a Democrat. I'm a Liberal and only because Conservatives and the Republican Party have gone so far to the right, no one can see them anymore. You don't want to hear that though because it's easier to pigeonhole me into a fringe group than come to grips with your slipping hold on reality.

red55 likes this.