Late season rut

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by BAY0U BENGAL, Jan 22, 2021.

1. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

Apparently in the southwest zone, the bucks are still chasing does. Had a few bucks come up on the cameras once or twice, but this guy found a hot doe and was staying on my plot longer and longer. I hunted him once, then had couldn’t make it back to the woods. He started coming in earlier and earlier Friday through Sunday of this past week. Finally on Monday, I was able to get in the stand around 2 that afternoon. About 3:00 a doe came out. I hunt a powerline that’s got some rye planted, but it’s a perfect ambush spot because they bed about 100-150 yards to my west, and feed off to the east. But this dude came out to see that doe around 3:40 and I dropped him at about 65 yards with a 45-70.

this is my first year back to hunting full time, and first time to hunt a specific buck. It’s also my first real trophy. Second deer of the season and I’m gonna hunt in the heat next week to try to knock down one or two more, to make it through the summer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Nice BB! I don't deer hunt, but love the spoils! My brother in law and his tribe have killed 5 so far this year. I process them, so I get lots of meat. They are hoping to get a couple more next week also. That will go a long way toward getting us through the summer as well.

BAY0U BENGAL likes this.
  3. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Nice!

Now get back to work. Bigfoot season is on in Oklahoma and that shit is gonna spread. Once starkville take's hold, game on.You'll be working double shifts keepin up with crazy.

BAY0U BENGAL and shane0911 like this.
  4. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

He lives in Mississippi. That's a redneck deer

6. shane0911

North or South? Looking at the deer Id guess north. Gulf coast deer usually look like dogs compared to real deer lol.

BAY0U BENGAL likes this.
  7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

It's a damn deer. How would I know? I did see a large buck swimming across Alligator Bayou once about 10 miles from Baton Rouge

8. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

My brother in law and his clan have killed 5 this year. They were all this size. We are very much south.

9. shane0911

You should get out more. Deer in Mo, Ks, Mi etc would eat most of the deer from the basin. Note I said most.

10. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

I started hunting a little further south from home. It’s about an hour or so south of Jackson. I got the meat back from the processor yesterday. Pepper Jack cheese mixed with pork Sausage is $3.69/lb. I killed one on Christmas that was a little smaller and also on a less than desirable shot, didn’t get as high of a meat yield as I would’ve liked. I got close to 80lbs off this guy. I’m going back next week in hopes to get one or two more, if I’m lucky. Then it’s hog and turkeys. Thinking about taking the AR-10 next week for the low-light scope options. My eyes aren’t as good as they used to be when the sun starts going down.