Lay off Coach Brady.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by SEN, Feb 26, 2004.

1. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I think you need to look at the state of the LSU BBall program in order to judge Brady, not just this season. The simple fact of the matter is that he has not done what is needed to bring this program up to even an average level. He has had plenty of time to get this program back to where it belongs, he has wasted more schollies than any coach I've ever see, he looses more players than any coach I've ever see. Guys keep pointing out how young the team is but he's the reason this team is so young, becuase of the poor job he has done managing the program. Next year we get one recruit that good programs went after, one, and he will need to lose a lot of weight to be able to produce in the SEC. And on top of that we loose our best player. He'll try to bring in another Juco guy to replace Ford probably, always putting a band aid when we need a body cast.

And don't blame the PMAC leaking or the attendance. first the players couldn't give a rat's ass about the roof leaking and second he's the reason the PMAC is empty. He's the CEO of the basketball program, it's his responsibilty to put the program where it should be and he hasn't done that. And on top of all that we will probably loose 2 or 3 kids off of this roster again next season as that seems to be a continuing trend. So God knows where Bass, Minor, etc. will be playing next year.

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

The lack of attendance is the result of LSU fans (and most other teams' fans) being frontrunners. Who's to say that a packed house wouldn't have resulted in a couple more home victories. This is Brady's first year without being handcuffed by sanctions. I just feel people who want Brady gone are being too impatient. And, I don't think there are any top notch coaches chomping at the bit to replace him.

3. lsucorndog

lsucorndog Founding Member

Man, are we spoiled already. It's what I call the law of averages. The football team #1, the baseball team#1. I expect LSU to have its programs consistantly ranked in the top 25. But, I'm not expecting it in all three, all the time . If we did that we would be the premier school in the nation(We're getting close).Like many others said injuries and youth are this teams achilles heel closing up the season. Remember, the end of the football season after the cotton bowl? Teams can improve. These young talented guys will be back with LOADS of experience and a year under their belt. And hopefully they can rehab and condition and be back stronger. I've heard some say other teams win with youth. That's the exception and NOT the rule! I just want these kids get some tourney play.

4. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Most publications I saw had us #2 in the West and the preseason magazine I bought had us #3 behind Miss. St. and Auburn with us going to the NIT. I know we were #1 in a couple of them but I have to admit that surprised me at the time.

With the landscape of college basketball today, most of those predictions are based on performance of freshman. I think Bass will be a stud eventually but he's had growing pains. Koujia and Minor haven't adjusted as well as expected. The development of these young guys will play a large factor in how I rate Brady as a coach. As for this moment in time, I have nothing to complain about.

5. roygu

roygu Founding Member

Wonder why the Miami Hurricanes don't fill their stadium. They have a good program.

Dale Brown blew a thirty point half time lead to Kentucky in the PMAC. Do you remember his excuse.

When the program was at its peak, talent wise, while CJ and Shack were here, how deep did we go in the tournament?

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It ain't the coach. It's the youth of this team that is the limiting factor. That situation will improve, as will the injury situation which has also limited us.

LSU just isn't deep enough to compete in the SEC. Not yet.

7. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I'm not basing any of my thoughts on Brady on this year. you can't love the coach and hat ethe recruiter or the other way around, there one in the same. I'm looking at what he has done with the program. He's the reason the team has so much youth and hardly any experience, he's the reason we keep losing players, he's the reason we only have one good recruit coming in next year, he's the reason the PMAC is empty, he's the reason fans aren't excited about the program. Everybody keeps bringing up Dale Brown and his inability to go deep into the tournament his last several seasons, I don't think anyone wants us to be at that level either, Brown should have been let go or resigned several years before he did as he didn't want to recruit or coach any longer.

This prgram is one step away from being in a shambles with Brady running it. He is the CEO of the basketball program just the other coaches are in theirs. All of the santion stuff should not be an issue any longer. Brady doesn't have what it takes and doesn't want to do what it takes to build the program, spur interest in the program, etc.

Other have said that we need to give Brady more slack because he took the position when nobody else wanted it and because it was such a hard position to be in. First off, we got Brady because Joe Dean didn't know his arse from a hole in the ground, he was a terrible AD, period. Secondly, when Brady took the job he knew what the expectations, the sanctions, etc. were and he signed the contract and hasn't brought the program to where it should be. He knew he would have an easy ride for a few years and then expectations would go up. We shouldn't settle for him just because he was a nice guy who took a job was interested in and that no one else would want. Hell, then we should have kept Dumbardo too if that's the case. We own the state of Louisiana, unlike most other colleges that have to share the wealth of players in their state. Like football LA produces an exceptional amount of very good to great basketball players. There are great coaches out there that would love to come here and get a shot at this talent base and build a program, many. Give Skip and Emmert a chance to go out and get their man and the basketball program would thrive, just like football, baseball, track and field, gymnastics, softball, tennis, etc.

Ship said in an interview last week that he doesn't want to be average in any sport and that all of the coaches have bought into that. Brady isn't holding up his program to those high standards and needs to go.

8. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Ditto!

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

i am still not sure what is so terrible about second in the west behind an extremely powerful mississippi st team.

is brady a terrible coach because he is in second and not first? is that the requirement?

10. roygu

roygu Founding Member

Well I could agree that Joe Dean was a poor Athletic Director. However Joe Dean has been gone a few years and someone has been extending Brady's Contract. They must see something that you don't. Maybe Skip understands the diffficulty of building a program from the bottom of a hole.
    You can bet if we were a top ten team, the first year after probation the NCAA would be in BR trying to find out why their penalties didn't work. Or, John Brady would be at the top of everyone list as the most promising coach in the country.

I understand the frustration, but how anyone who knows anything about the situation, can justify claiming we should be leading the conference is mind boggling.
    How long has Mississippi State been building a team? It's not like they just started winning basketball games this season. How many teams go into Nashville and beat Vanderbilt? They Just beat Kentucky a couple weeks back.
    If we can win two of the next three I'll bet Skip will be elated and extend the contract one again.
    Heck, I remember when Skip was coaching Baseball, the team was in the top ten, and had lost a couple games. Fans with just as as much knowledge as you guys would call up wanting to know why the kids didn't want to win and give him pointers on how to motivate the team and win games. LOL