Lay off of Mauck!!

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Flabengal, Sep 1, 2002.

1. Flabengal

Flabengal Guest

Just want to point out that TOEFIELD fumbled leading to a touchdown and JONES got a punt blocked leading to a score and ADDAI played hacky-sack with the football in the secondary.....I understand Mauck did not come roaring back to pull everybody's ass out of the fire like Davey/Reed so often did but they are in the NFL now so get used to it.
    Personally I think the blame lies squarely on the coaching staff. Write your e-mails about Jimbo and Saban and lay off of Mauck...we should have run the ball all day and see what the hell happens...way too much expected (by the fans) of a new quarterback making his first start against a VERY solid football team, in their house.
    So lighten up, a national championship was never in the cards so we can get back to focusing on winning the SEC West. That's plenty to chew on for any program west of Georgia, last time I checked, and I don't imagine their fans are writing about playing quarterbacks that haven't even set foot on the LSU practice field(Lane).
    I'm from Baton Rouge but I gotta say some of you folks need to calm down and use your heads .....changing quarterbacks right now would be the exact wrong thing for the coaching staff to do right now. They screwed up bad enough this week... let's hope they don't pour more fuel on the fire.
    We're gonna be alright, we've got some talented players on this squad.
    Geaux Tigers!

2. roygu

roygu Founding Member

Anyone pointing fingers at the Quarterback just remember Rohan Davey, Craig Nall, and Josh Bootys first starts. They are all on NFL rosters now. Mauck will be fine once the team develops some chemistry and we find out who can perform in game situations. I remember the 2000 season, WR'S were dropping passes from Booty and Davey all season. Last year they improved trememdously.

3. Heh - two out of three isn't bad. Unless he was picked up by someone else, Josh Booty was cut last year by the Seahawks and never took a snap in the NFL. :)

4. RockyMtTiger

RockyMtTiger Founding Member

^^Booty was picked up by Cleveland and played this pre-season. Not sure if he made the cut with them.

As for Mauck, he didn't play well, but there is a lot of blame to go around. Even experienced players were making mistakes. The team was unprepared and uninspired. I agree that Mauck will improve, and it helps to have four "easy" games (although Miami of Ohio may be better than Miss St) coming up for the team to work the kinks out.

5. roygu

roygu Founding Member

Just the Facts: Booty, according to the Cleveland Browns Web Site, is still on the roster as the third string quarterback. Unfortunately several of our favorite tigers didn't make it. It appears that Davey, Reed, Nalll, Royal, J Greene, and Clark may have made the fifty-three man roster. I saw where Pearce and Kipps had been cut yesterday.

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I think Mauck did fine yesterday. You can only hit guys in the chest with the ball, you can't make them catch it.

7. chuck

chuck Guest

about Mauck

Not here to flame or rub in . .I swear . .just an outsider looking in on that game. Most of you hit it on the head that the primary issue is the dropping of decent passes.

I don't THINK anyone is suspecting Mauck to be another Rohan Davey, that being said, its going to hurt him even more if his receivers and RB's are dropping the ball AND he is running for his life all night . .I was not overly impressed with the LSU O-line.

However, I think Saban will pull this team back together and your next SEC game we will see an entirely different LSU team.

On another note. .I really hated to see Wilkerson to go down. Sure, I want to beat LSU every year, but you HATE to see a kid go down early in the season. . especially when he was showing the heart that he did trying to stay out there. Is there any word on him . .will he be okay for the season . .I truly hope so.

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I thought Mauck did alright, all things considered. WR's had an off day. Still, we need to get Randall some work in the next few games in case he's needed later.

9. CrimsonPirate

CrimsonPirate Founding Member

A few years ago, Brian Sparacino took a lot of heat for a loss to Bama in which Shaun Alexander ran for 291 yards, Brian had to run for his life, and his receivers couldn't catch a cold. It wasn't right to blame Sparacino then; it ain't right to blame Mauck now. He's the starter for a reason. If Coach Saban thinks he can't do the job, I'm sure he'll make a change. Until then, he's LSU's QB.

10. mauck

I agree that the blame cannot fall squarely on mauck's shoulders as receivers have a responsibility to catch balls that hit them on the hands. However, I would say that when you have such an apparent lack of rhythm and communication with all the receivers not just one or two, the responsibility has to fall on the quarterback.
    It is hard for receivers to get in the flow of the game in the 3rd quarter when a quarterback finally pulls it together when he has been throwing balls over, behind them, and at their feet for two quarters.
    I am not ready to give up on mauck yet but he has some vst strides to make if he does not want the Clausen era to start this year.