LB Kevin Minter

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by LSUDynasty5, Apr 5, 2008.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Re: Minter commits

Les Miles has the uncanny knack for recruiting high character kids.

2. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Yep. Its a great trait of his and will pay off down the road.

3. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

The newspaper in Minter's neck of the woods named him the Defensive Player of the Year.

Some quotes:

Kevin Minter is one of those linebackers who makes a crushing impact at the point of the tackle, typically driving or blasting the ball carrier backward. Of his many jarring hits, one jumps to the forefront. It's Minter's favorite and the one that stands out most to his coaches.

"The Harrison game (in the second round of the Class AAAAA playoffs), (Minter) had a really big hit on Robbie Godhigh (a 1,000-yard rusher)," Peachtree Ridge head coach Bill Ballard said. "He hit him so hard that (Godhigh) was visibly dazed, he couldn't get up. Then he got up and was staggering around, like he had been punched. That was a big hit in the ball game. I think it slowed (Godhigh) down a little bit running the ball." Godhigh finished with 87 yards on 27 carries (3.22 YPC).

"It set the pace of the game," said Minter. "The whole momentum changed. ... After a hit like that, you just kind of take the running back's mind out of it, too. ... The way he looked afterward, you could tell, he wasn't going to run that hard anymore."

"Kevin is a very physical linebacker in the fact that when he hits somebody, they go backwards," Ballard said. "He's always around the football, playing full-speed every play."

"He's strong enough right now, [but] if he continues to progress in the weight room ... he's only going to get bigger ... I wouldn't be surprised to see him playing at 250, 255 (pounds) pretty quickly."

"He's already close to a 400 (pound) bench. He's already over a 500 squat. He's got a 300-plus clean."

As a freshman DE, he had 70 tackles
    As a sophomore DE, he had 149 tackles

He converted to LB as a junior.

http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/main.asp?SectionID=7&SubSectionID=7&ArticleID=54226&TM=115.339

[​IMG]

4. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

I watched most of that game. I don't remember what hit he's talking about but they definitely shut Godhigh down all game. Godhigh is no Trindon either, he's built like a cannon ball (think Michael Turner on the high school level) so this hit must have been pretty nice. Then again, Minter is not exactly small either,which I love about him the most.

Minter is exactly what you need a MLB to be. Adequate speed with ideal size and play awareness. With Baker, Minter and hopefully a few others, our LB corps has the potential to look better than it has since Bradie and Trev were running around out there.

5. islstl

6. islstl

Great quotes from Georgia fans:

quote:
    Minter is a BEAST. He grew up a GT fan and wanted to come to Tech. His grades were iffy and we decided to go in a different direction.Bottom line is, HE IS A BEAST. Better than Sheppard at the same stage

quote:
    Kevin Minter is a damned freak and he will be a force at Middle LB for LSU in two years.

quote:
    Minter is probably the most college ready player in the state, he's an absolute animal. LSU is getting a great player

quote:
    #8 Kevin Minter from Peachtree Ridge is a beast. L$U is getting a good one who is a throw back LBer. I live in that school district in Duluth, GA and have watched him from the
    beginning. Gwinnett County football is bigtime with lots of talent, and he is the cream of the crop this class.

quote:
    My wife used to teach at PRHS and I watched that kid for three years. Minter is an absolute stud. I trust our staff, but right now, I would take him over every other LB we have committed, and I mean that.

quote:
    I completely agree with you. Minter could even give Jarvis Jones a run for his money as the states' best LB, I don't think there is much of a difference between the top 8-11 players in the state this

7. blindside517

blindside517 Founding Member

Minter is one of the most underrated players in this class, people bitch about not getting good linebackers ever, this guy is it, ive heard from multiple people from Georgia who think he is better than Jarvis Jones.

8. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Great to hear, because personally I find LB is the toughest position to evaluate based on highlight reels.

9. 07Tiger

07Tiger Founding Member

Minter

I saw Minter today on campus. Based off my size, he's right at about 6' or 6'1" like they say and every bit of 230 lbs. That boy is thick, and all muscle. He was a recruit I was hoping we would get before he even committed almost a year ago. It was good seeing him on campus today after a year of watching his recruiting on the internet. I also saw Shep today too and Garrett the first day of class, he's a pretty big ole boy too.

Thanks for combining, I couldn't search for the old thread.