Learning a foreign language as an adult

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by lsu99, Jan 23, 2015.

1. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Anyone ever learned a foreign language as an adult? If so, how do you use the language now?

I started doing 30 minute Spanish lessons on the way to work and feel that it may be possible to pick it up. Took French for about 5 years as a kid but never got very good at speaking or understanding.

2. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I don't study now. I took several years of French, including 2 in college. I still speak it but only to myself. I have been to France and I was able to carry on a conversation although it was tough. There are so many spanish speakers in California that I have picked up a little bit. The Mexican dudes at the AM/PM coffee bar don't think I understand anything. They are wrong, lol.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

My grandparents spoke Cajun French a lot when I was a kid. I could sometimes tell what they were saying but I never learned to speak it. I have been around Spanish speaking people enough to where I should know more than I do. The problem is that when I hear somebody speak English I can tell what all the individual words are even if they are talking very fast, but if somebody is speaking Spanish I can't tell where one word ends and the next word starts so I can't distinguish between and identify the individual words.

A few months ago I bought the Plimseur Method Learn Spanish CDs. They sent me two CDs and what is on them is very very basic but to learn any more it seems that the introductory offer is just something to get you hooked into buying the upsell and getting a new and more advanced CD every month. The ad said I would learn Spanish very quickly but the intro package doesn't teach me much more than how to say Pardone, Senorita

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  4. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

I have Rosetta Stone for German. I got it two years ago, cost a fortune. Still in box. Ugh!

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I can comprehend written Spanish much easier than listen to it spoken. But I've learned spanish words and grammar by reading. Those Rosseta Stone methods that use the spoken language are probably better to understand a language.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I can't remember his name right now but LSU had a basketball player from the Dominican Republic who didn't speak a word of English when he got here. He taught himself English by reading it.

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

jose vargas.

whatever you do, dont shoot, jose. jose shoots it.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Jose loved him some defense, though.

9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

couldnt find the clip where dale said dont shoot and he throws up an airball (georgetown)

but settled for this:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  10. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

That was the same game where Ricky Blanton got punched in the face by Patrick Ewing I believe. All the called was a foul. What BS that was, but Blanton got the best revenge.