Legendary off-campus bars - ANCIENT THREAD

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Pastimer, Feb 2, 2004.

1. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

I understand...but it's not like they're real secretive about it, though.

2. Govna

Govna Freshman

yea u rite! the sans souci across the river...i can remember many "one-eye-closed" drives back to BR. What about the Common Ground? Also, hung out at Kingfish, Southdowns, Don's Seafood on Airline after the games.

Got into fights at Chucks in Addis.

Remember the Der Wieiner Snitzel? An old high school buddy robbed it using a tear gas pin. Remember the University Theater used to show XXX?

There was another club under an overpass, I think it was the Colonel's Club.

Great memories.

1 person likes this.
  3. Govna

Govna Freshman

What was the name of the record shop on Chymes during the mid-70's?

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Discount Records, later became Leisure Landing. I literally bought hundreds of LP's there. Brad Pope worked there in every incarnation. He owns the Compact Disc Store now.

5. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Not one mention of Murphy's ???
    Or I missed it.

What about Heartbreaks (now the Gold Club I think).
    Used to go to Kingfish, Gator bar, all those places. Good times.
    Now I am turning on Go Diego Go for me kid on my Tivo.. Boy have times changed....

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I wish I could have a Joes Special from the Library right now. Hot roast beef with provolone cheese and olive mix on a toasted muffaletto bun.

7. TigerKid05

TigerKid05 Say Whaa!?!?

The new Happy Note is on perkins next to juban's and uncle earl's...yes they still have the stiffest drinks

8. AroundtheBowl

AroundtheBowl Founding Member

We used to hang out at the Bayou -- free pool until 7:00! Too bad it burned down.

9. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

The original owners of LL when it was a hole in the wall on Chimes on the other side of Highland in the early 70's were Doug and Joanne. They moved it to the more business oriented area next to the Bayou and it was there I met one of the greatest music aficionados of all time, Jimmie Dale Stricklin (RIP) and also Bill Mallory, the bassist for the legendary BR punk band The Sh!tdogs (also RIP).

They both worked at and later owned LL and were very broad minded concerning music. Jimmie had a collection of bootleg vinyl at his hose in Baker that consisted of a wide mix'o'tunes, including virtually every (!) Cream live show ever performed. He also was a HUGE Muddy Waters fan, they even had a party @ LL every April 4th for Muddy's birthday. Hawkwind was another Jimmie fav. I'm quite sure your friend Brad remembers those guys. They were unforgettable people, zanier than hell and funny.

I credit these folks along with WFMF-FM and a small station when I lived there WCKW-FM fo helping to widely broaden my musical palette.

I really miss those times and those people. What great fun.

1 person likes this.
  10. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Ah, the Kingfish. That place was legendary! Only made it out that way a few times, but never left before the sun came up. :hihi::eek::thumb: