Legendary off-campus bars - ANCIENT THREAD

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Pastimer, Feb 2, 2004.

1. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Sorry...I'm from New Orleans.....where all the REAL legendary bars are.:cool:.

2. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

True.

UNLESS you grew up in BR...OR...attended Ole War Skule...
    OR...needed a watering hole when you were in town to watch the :tigerhead s.

3. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

Yeah, why on earth would a board devoted to Louisiana State University of Baton Rouge be discussing bars in Baton Rouge? Crazy!

:tigerhead:tigerhead:tigerhead:tigerhead:tigerhead

:wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave:

Just kidding, New Orleans does have some great bars. In the Tulane area I can think of a few good ones I've been too: Cooter Brown's, Robert's, Ms. Mae's, etc.

4. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I have to admit...I do stay away....far away from the legendary bars in the 800 block of Bourbon !!! :eek: :dis:.

But the others in No and BR are fair game :thumb:.

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  5. Pookie

Pookie POOKIE

The HE & SHE SCENE, in Port Allen, LA, (friends, other patrons, pictures - inside or outside.) The folks, history, John, the manager or Al the bouncer, that is what I am looking for in the early 70's. Some called of us called it "crossing the pond" or heading to the "Gold Coast"
    Any stories or memrobilia from the He & She (The Scene on Hwy 190)..
    Please share anything you know or remember. Trying to get a reunion of the gang in the works.

6. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Thanks for the bump @Pookie I "grew up" at the Southdowns on Perkins in the late '60's. Rodney ran a great bar and often had Bill Wray and his Show Band, a great blue eyed soul band. There was also the Common Ground on Highland...remember singing Bye Bye American Pie all night in 69. I was a ID checker at the Brass Rail in 74 or so. It was a great way to meet girls. Best hole in the wall was on the Lakeside (I think) on Perkins by the underpass. Jed Stuart would keep open after hours (70's) and cook rib eyes steaks for some of us. He later opened it as a restaurant. It was also the location of the Sans Souci Gourmet Club that had wild game dinners periodically. It also held a pot limit per game afterward. CB Pennington would often drink there in his overalls. One more I can't remember the name of was on Stanford by the LSU lake in an old National store where Mike Wampold's development is now. They would have quarter beer on Fridays, Bill Wray, GG Shin, John Fred and the poor boys and so many others played.
    I could go on and on with the great bar scene of the 60's, 70's and early 80's. It was local and so non commercial, a piece of heaven. BTW there was little concern for ID as the drinking age was 18 and if you could reach the bar you got served.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

It was called the Speakeasy

That was John Fred and the Playboys. For a while they had a deal on Wednesday nights where up and coming nre bands would play. Cover charge was 50 cents. I saw ZZ Top there when they were getting started

GiantDuckFan and Winston1 like this.
  8. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

You pulled some trim out of those?

9. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

I had a couple of beers listening to GG Shin & Jerry Count Jackson & the Boogie Kings play at the Big Oaks Club.
    I remember having a "discussion" with Jimmy Johnson, and it wasn't about football. The only advantage I might have had is I was sober.

shane0911 likes this.
  10. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Some of the very best. Shin is queer as a 3 dollar bill but damn he could sing

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Bengal B likes this.