Leinart says Sooners quit

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MiketheTiger69, Jan 13, 2005.

1. bubbafong

bubbafong Founding Member

I don't know about that. He seems like an arrogant basduhd to me, so I can imagine him saying anything he wants to to float his ego, especially something like this that can't be disproven.

Either way though, OU gave up in the 2nd quarter. The first drive looked incredible, and I was thinking also that it would be ugly for USC. But after that mishap on the fumbled return that spotted USC 7, and then the White INT that spotted them another, it just looked like most of the team completely gave up. And even if White didn't give up, he looked totally off after that first INT, and with the O-line never giving Peterson any decent holes, that wasn't good.

I honestly think Auburn would've been a much better team to play USC. Not that they necessarily would've won, but I think OU's problem was that they weren't used to playing a good team from several scores down, and they didn't know how to handle that. Auburn having played in the SEC all year wouldn't have given up after going down a couple of scores I don't think.

Just my 2 hundredths of a dollar.

2. Mr. Peabody

Mr. Peabody Founding Member

I don't think Lienart is lying. However, you don't know the context with how it was spoken if it indeed was. Could have been a joking comment, maybe. Still not right to say it though. Dan Cody had a pretty damn good game. Didn't look like he quit at all. Can't say much about the the majority of the team.

It's definitely a bad attitude to have. Dan Cody told a local radio guy, off the air, a few months ago that everyone gave up including himself during the Big12 Championship game against KSU last year except Teddy Lehman and Derrick Strait.

Sad. :dis:

3. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

I don't believe you can say the whole team quit

Got to be a few on the team that have too much heart to ever quit. But, in general, they quit. OU got torched from just about any angle you could in a football game. We did'nt whip them quite as bad, but LSU did manhandle the Sooners last year. The score is not anywhere near the indication of the game. Should have been a minimum of 35-14 if not for some very lucky OU breaks. :)

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

i think thats an inherent problem which leads directly to the HC. Not sure if its his demeanor or personality or whatever but i noticed both those games too that they did quit.

Derrek Strait is a man. He owned in the Sugar and never quits any play. i love that guy.

5. TulsaTimeTiger

TulsaTimeTiger Freshman

Sooners did quit in 2nd Quarter...Why?

Why do you think they quit when it was 14-7 or 21-7?

Either way, a team that has accomplished as much as they have and with that talent, they had no reason to quit. Seems really wierd to me that they in large got so demoralized over the 2 bad early turnovers.

The team that played us last year was getting beat up pretty bad for the most part. But OU hung in there, we made a few turnovers, and in the 4th quarter they were inches from tying the game.

IMO, this year's OU team was more physically heathly, but their heart and spirit were very fragile.

6. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

"Let up, Dog" :grin:

7. Geekboy

Geekboy Founding Member

Dead on! Can you imagine facing an entire team with the attitude of a Strait?
    Forget about it.

8. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

im sure the only reason lienart went public with this information (if it is true) was b/c of what birdine (the OU O-lineman) said prior to the game...about SC being an "average" team...an assertion, which, if you study their performance throughout the year, was not all that inaccurate.

9. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

I watched USC play Brigham Young earlier in the season. If USC would have played at that level against any of the decent SEC teams on that day, they would have lost.

Only a playoff system, involving more than one other team, would have exposed USC.

Oklahoma did more than just blow their opportunity to win a title.

They also let a relatively untested team remain relatively untested.

10. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/493078

Evidently he's only seen action in 5 games this year. Here's hoping he sees more next year!