LeMahieu On Fire

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by COTiger, Jun 29, 2019.

1. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Take the Thunder, they play home games here in OKC, I suspect that most of them have homes or apartments here but I know most, take Westbrook for instance has a residence in LA as well. So he pays Oklahoma state taxes on all home games, if he plays @ Knicks he pays New York state taxes for that game, if he plays @ Heat no state taxes because Fl doesn't have them. I guess it doesn't matter where they claim residence for their FIT

COTiger likes this.
  2. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Damn. This old fart learns something new every day. Thanks Iconcheers.gif

shane0911 likes this.
  3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I read a story about when Phil Mickelson won the British Open he had to pay British income tax, American income tax ane the 13% California state income tax the state charges people with high incomes. He got to keep way less than half for himself.

4. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

I wonder how much his accountants recover for him on April 15th?

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

He can call the Cali residence his vacation home as long as his legal domicile is in Oklahoma or any othe state he might play for a team located there. If I was a big time earner in any sport I would never sign with any team in California. Probably not New York or Massachusetts either. If I was drafted there as soon as I was a free agent I would sign with a team in Texas or Florida, neither of which has any state income tax. Starting in 2020 football players will have another option. Sign with the Las Vegas Vegas Raiders. No state tax in Nevada either.

There might be another option if it's legal. Form a corporation in a no tax state. Say the corporation signs a contact with the Lakers "to provide basketball services" or whatever legal mumbo jumbo my lawyer comes up with. Corporation charges the Lakers $35 million a year for the services. Player is an employee of the corporation for $100k a year. Player pays taxes on the lower income but as the sole stockholder of the corporation reaps all the benefits.

By the way @CajunlostinCali and @uscvball a person with an incorporated business can use this strategy too. There was a New York City taxi company that registered a Nevada corporation for every 4 or 5 taxis in their fleet.