Les is not great

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tirk, Sep 5, 2010.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

unfortunately, im not mad or upset. ive been resigned to that fact about les for 2 years now. just how it is.

this team has les' stamp all over it. undisciplined, unfocused, uneducated.

tj yates sucks. has he ever thrown for 300 yards much less 400? ive watched this guy implode almost every game ive seen him play. greg little didnt even make the trip and hes their only threat. yates is constantly inept even with him. dont fall into the trap of thinking hes really good. hes not. hes freaking garbage. its tough to recognize when a bad defense makes a bad qb look spectacular but it happens.

lsu did this against az st with sam keller who threw for likw 500 yards and 4 tds. season opener wasnt it. dude was benched 3 games later when we thought he was a heisman hopeful.

last years season opener, same thing. everyone saying UW bowl bound then lose 6 of 7 and finish with 5 wins. crappy team plays us to the wire.

if JJ has a slow brain then put him in a better position to succeed. his synapses just dont fire quick enough for him to be successful against a good defense. if hes been coached all offseason to do things differently than last year, they have failed. what did russell shepard get? 5 touches? line him up back there if jj is that bad. he shoulda been back there last year running the stupid wildcat over and over with that 112th ranked offense.

we had a year to improve what was wrong before. we averaged what? 55 snaps a game last year and was killed in time of possession against even the scrub teams. les vowed this was the mission statement coming into this season. so what do we get? 55 plays again and time of possession was 9 minutes less than a team depleted by injuries.

our undersized speed defense cannot stay on the field all game and be successful. its what makes guys like ****ing tj yates look like joe montana throwing the slant to jerry rice over and over. we still cant generate a push upfront without blitzing our best damn player who should be in coverage. wheres this dominance upfront we were once known for? when will we get back to getting dominant linemen.

make no mistake. this team is awfully loaded at the skill positions. we have some sick talent. just not upfront for the style of offense les reverted to in the second half.

its not the offensive coordinator. its not the o-line coach. its the head coach. hes not great. hes not even good. hes in over his head and the program displays that most saturdays in spite of his gaudy record. but look closer. its not so gaudy of late. its .500 in conference over 2 calendar years losing to ole miss, bama and florida 6 straight times. and close to 0-8 if you add are-kansas.

les and co. had a sense of urgency to get this program back to playing smart and disciplined football yet, its more of the same. in fact, its almost exactly the same. for the first time, i finally realized why that miserable hitler bastard of a coach now at bama is constantly sucking the joy out of his players each and every second of their life.

its because if he doesnt, they end up playing like we play game-in and game-out under miles. a team with great talent and egos to match but without the focus to do whats necessary to establish their dominance.

its just time we accept this and hope for wins regardless. because the performances on the field wont be changing much at all, if any, under les miles. this is who he is.

2 people like this.
  2. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

As usual, tirk, I simply cannot argue with you. Maybe it's because you state it so matter-of-factly that it isn't really open to discussion. You might do well as a hypnotist?

3. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

We'll be lucky to go 1-5 in the West with the way we played tonight period. Like they said from top to bottom the West is the tioughest division in football and with Masoli at ole piss he could kill us.

4. Eliminator55

Eliminator55 May God Help Us.

You summed it up perfectly. GREAT post. I just can't bare to watch the Tigers perform so poorly.

5. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

2-4 is more likely.
    i watched ole piss yesterday. they looked much worse than we did.

6. kcal

kcal Founding Member

and yet, in spite of this objective summation i keep telling myself that somehow the coaching staff & players (i know as a board we did) failed to properly respect the tarheels and thought they should roll over and play dead.

hopefully we'll play 4 quarters of football in nashville this week.

then again this makes nov. 20th more fun doesn't it?

7. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

nm

1 person likes this.
  8. flabengal

flabengal Founding Member

Didn't that D coordinator turn out to be pretty solid?

Same crappy team beat USC, if I'm not mistaken. These are college kids...these games and teams are subject to extreme emotional swings. That's why good recruiting helps, depth helps, running a clean program helps.

I'm no JJ fan...and I'm pulling this point from another thread where it didn't go over well so my hopes are not real high here.....but part of the qb troubles are to blame on the LSU fanbase. These people like to eat qbs like PEZ candy....if they hadn't have turned on J. Lee so bad and cheered when he finally got hurt against Ole Miss and God knows what else off the field....if they actually supported their team and coaches instead of waiting in breatless anticipation to wring their throats....maybe it would be considered a POSITIVE thing in going to a two qb system to take some of the burden off JJ.

I don't know what would be preferable....to score slower? On the one hand they complain that it is not Crowton's offense....it's Les Miles and Big Ten style, three yards and a cloud of dust. But wait, we actually stretched the field.....threw it deep, hit the big play.....weren't conservative.....were working with great field position which tends to limit the number of plays.

Or we fumbled the goddamn ball 5 times. That's kind of a drive killer, you know....

Here you make your best point.....time of possession/limited plays for offense is a killer for our D. But damn....we held them to 10 points through three quarters....(and without the roughing the kicker penalty they don't have double digits.)

The mistakes LSU made turning the ball over, having freshmen all over the place on defense that got toasted, probably a blown call on the refs, and lack of leadership on the team which resulted in a letdown in the second half.

Experience will help solve most of the problems. That was a young team out there on a big stage and it unraveled on them, but they stuck it out. Give them credit.

And no, I am not saying Miles is the best coach in college football. But he's the best coach LSU is capable of having on the sidelines at the moment....you may not like his replacement anymore than J. Lee's replacement.

9. LSUpathdoc

LSUpathdoc Trust me, I'm a Doctor

well I'm wondering do you think Les would be replaced if we have a 7-5 or 8-4 season? I think 6-6 he is toast. We seem to be limping along with talent just enough to let these coaches keep there jobs.

10. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Sorry I messed up... I meant 1-4. Miss St. imo is our only garunteed win in the West and to be honest we could lose that too if we keep shooting ourselves in the foot. But regardless... say we drop 4 in the West... is that in your opinion, worthy of keeping Miles and Crowton with the checks they get?
    We haven't beaten Bama, Florida, Ole Miss in 2 years and Ar-kansas has beat us 2/3 the last 3 seasons... just the SEC record of Miles is enough to boot his a$$.