Les Miles and The Coaching Staff

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by lsutigerpaw, Sep 5, 2010.

1. lsutigerpaw

lsutigerpaw Founding Member

Let me start by saying Les Miles has always been a stubborn, hard headed football coach, at least since I've known him at LSU.

My assessment of the situation . . . . .

Les Miles and his coaching staff has not shown me anything good.

First, a winning team needs to recruit All American talent, starting with the Offensive and Defensive line. Sorry, but our boys don't cut it at both those important aspects of the game. If you cannot control the line of scrimmage on both the offense and defense, you will never be a true Champion. He has been unsuccessful in recruiting top talent at those positions, so we're in for another sad season. You can have Drew Brees at quarterback but if you cannot block and protect him, he or anyone else will be running for their lives and never be effective. Same said for the Defensive line, if a Quarterback has all day to throw the ball, even an average QB can pick you apart.

Grade D - At best on both offensive and defensive line.

Coaching - A real coach will have his team ready to play. This team and the team the past few years look unprepared and unorganized. Penalties for such stupid things leans to bad coaching. A good coach can make successful adjustments during the game or at half time, something we have not seen under Miles, besides poor game plans.

Head Coach - Grade F

Offensive and Defensive Coordinators - Just plain sad. An offensive coordinator who has no imagination or effective game plan. Cannot make adjustments vs what the defense is giving them. Limited game plan and plays not resulting in any kind of offensive production. Grade D

A "has been" Defensive coordinator from Tennessee who wasn't that great there, to be recruited and hired by LSU. What's the excuse this year, still need time to adjust defensive schemes and strategy. Just plain awful, especially having some talented players on defense. Cannot rush the QB without rushing 7 people, then we get picked apart in the secondary. Totally awful. Grade F

Recruiting - What about a head coach who recruits the top high school QB in the nation and refused to let him throw 1 pass the entire season? So who is really dumb, the QB or the Head Coach who recruited him! Cannot recruit credible lineman, one of this teams biggest problems. Grade D only because they land a few talented individuals at select positions, but put them into an awful situation.

Disclaimer - I'm not a football coach, nor can I coach football. But I can tell the difference between a well coached and disciplined football team vs the coaching staff we have here. Never was a Les Miles fan, never will be. He's a smart ass, stubborn, and hard headed coach and refuses to change, completely ignores questions about his coaching strategy or game plan, or lack of one.

A true die hard LSU fan for almost 50 years, it's gonna be another long season, or seasons, until we get rid of these guys.

And my worst fear (but we'd be better off) is that we have another awful season (and so does South Carolina), Miles and Spurrier both get fired, and Spurrier would be the best coach available out there! OMG ! :cry:

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Fantastic post and assessment of the situation.

I would grade the D-line a B just based on Nevis' play, however.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

He can't throw. Every other team recruited him as a receiver or running back. Les gave him his shot and signed him, but the guy is an athlete, not a QB. He's playing where he needs to play.

Clearly.

4. sunnyjim

sunnyjim Founding Member

Boy, can he run!

5. lsutigerpaw

lsutigerpaw Founding Member

Agree

RS is probably better as a running back, I have no problem with that, he is a good athlete.

Lets hope we can shape up those offensive and defensive lines, my opinion as a major key in LSU's success this year.

6. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

This season is clearly the acid test for CLM whether you like him as our coach or not. I'll give him more than one game to make his case.

7. GoTigers

GoTigers Freshman

Yea they were commenting that our D is not that big... but they're fast. Don't know how that directly relates to recruiting (bigger is usually better, but fast is good too).

I'm definately not a Les Miles fan though... don't like the guy at all!

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

This. The most ardent Les detractors are looking for an excuse to bash him and the 2nd half gave them that. It's Charlie Mac all over again.

9. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

And a repeat of the rewarding 20 yrs that followed his departure, will certainly make some very happy.

10. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

The Chief likes faster D-lineman, thats why we recruit that way.