Les Miles=Charlie McClendon

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by WestCoastTiger, Dec 6, 2009.

1. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

Lots of xboxers on here these days. :rofl:

1 person likes this.
  2. tuckerman

tuckerman Veteran Member

3. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I think it's difficult to compare coaches from different eras.

McClendon's teams were disciplined teams that had good, crisp execution. Offensively we ran the option very well from the I formation. Blocking was there...timing of the pitch was extremely well. We had a four yards and a cloud of dust type offense.

Actually, McClendon took a lot of heat for that back then. Tiger fans were saying that he had an unimaginative offense. He'd actually run the same play over and over...three times in a row.He was famous for that and wouldn't change the play until the opposing defense stopped that play. Most people thought it was boring and made fun of him because he didn't open up the offense with a lot of passing plays. He had very predictable, unimaginative offenses.

People were calling for him to be fired because of this. I never did because I was a results oriented tiger fan. If we got a first down by running three straight plays and strung together a drive that ended in some type of score, then I was happy because, being a bottom line type of guy, we usually scored more points than the other team when the clock ticked down to 0:00.

That's why, being a person who's more concerned with results than style, I disagree with your assessment that McClendon was better than Miles. No SEC championships...no National championships...and at the end, no nationally recognized recruiting classes... (we were beginning to lose recruits to other programs...especially from New Orleans).

Sorry Tuckerman,as much as you don't want to believe it...Miles brought LSU to places McClendon could not.

Miles is much, much better than McClendon was for LSU.

4. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

You really think we should have won the national championship with a sophmore first year starter at QB? With the offensive and defensive lines we had this year?

Something that gets overlooked over the last few weeks of torching our team is that we are missing 5 offensive linemen from the recruiting classes of '05, 06 and 07. Some were kicked out, some left of their own accord. These guys would have been 4th or 5th year seniors and juniors this year, and who knows how many would have been starting ahead of what we have now?

5. LSUTigerDad

LSUTigerDad 2009 Pick Em Champ

:hihi:

6. LSUTigerDad

LSUTigerDad 2009 Pick Em Champ

Nope but we will have to wait and see won't we? Wait a minute we only have until 2012. Guess we'll never know. :)

7. TigerCliff

TigerCliff Veteran Member

This we are so bad type thread serves what purpose.

I guess you feel better after you post. I don't see we need a QB !

The general statements that we are bad and worst is coming is based on what you see happening!

Life is a faith based walk! Many of you have no faith in Les and the fact that Les is 180 out from Nick you see nothing but talent wins for LSU.

Les can not coach up a team. Les can not win big now that all of Nick's boys are gone.

Les won in his 3rd year based on the freshman class that Nick recruited. Makes no difference to you that Les is the one that coached up that bunch.

Admit you hate Les and think he is a complete idiot! Look at Ole Miss and how stupid he looked and acted. As one that hates Les that is how you perceive Les.

You can't conceive any instance where Coach has redeeming values.

I look at the head to head games against Bama. 1st game we win.

2nd game we go into OT - Bama wins. 3rd game Bama wins but!! you all know about the but and we lose our QB and Great Scott.

I don't see this huge gap that most of you see. I see our D getting much better and we still need a big time QB. I think in the spring game we will see the new direction of this team break open.

Either JJ will get it and move on or CG will throw lighting bolts and take the Tiger by the tail.

At my house with CLM 2010,2011,2012 look like beat Bama years and yes it's like the old days. To get to Atalanta you have to go through Bama land!

Geaux Tigers

cliff:miles:

1 person likes this.
  8. Perple

Perple Founding Member

I hope so, both men represented LSU very well, with class & dignity. But Coach Miles seperated himself from Coach Mac as far as wins quickly. Coach Miles averages 10.2 wins per season. No other football coach at LSU has achieved that.

LSU has been ranked in the Top 5 a total of 9 times. 3 of those Top 5 rankings where brought by Coach Miles & 3 by Coach Dietzel. The other 3 Top 5 finishes are divided up among 3 different coaches.

I look at Coach Miles total body of work as stellar.

1 person likes this.
  9. lsutigerfan1976

lsutigerfan1976 Freshman

Most lsu fans were never satisfied with Miles when he was hired. Because of this no matter how well he does, he will always be bashed.

10. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

Charlie McClendon never won a NC as a head coach. Don't think anyone at LSU can match Miles' current record or the time in which he has done it. And Mac was pretty well liked by the fanbase. No, don't see much to compare the two after all.