Les Miles=Charlie McClendon

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by WestCoastTiger, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

ok then, let me put my Miss Cleo hat on for a minute.

lets say hypothetically speaking, LSU beats Penn State, then LSU in '10 finishes with same record as this year.
    10-3 2nd in west, 3rd in SEC.

most here feel that is unacceptable. most LSU fans I've talked to think that is firable offense.

so, LSU sh!tcans the whole staff.

So lets start the replacement process.
    1st the criteria:

• Winning a National title
    • an SEC title
    • 2division titles
    • having best 6 year win % in school history
    • winning 10 games 5 out of 6 years
    • finishing in top 10 in 5 out of 6 years
    • having one of the top 5-10 win% in country during your tenure
    • excellent recruiting
    the above is not good enough. you have to top this. anything less is simply unacceptable. because the above will get you fired.

Who the phuck is dumb enough to take that job?

I've asked this question before, and have never gotten a straight answer.
    I've heard "yeah, but we're LSU"

I'm sure that's how Oklahoma, Nebraska, Alabama, Michigan, all felt when they ran off coaches with this type of success rate.

Houston Nutt would rather stay at Arkansas (then Ole Miss) than take a job at Nebraska, one of the most tradition rich schools in CFB history. Why?
    Because going 9-2 two years after a NCG appearance is "heading in the wrong direction"

Rich Rod was at least 4th down the line on Michigan's wish list. Hell, even the Rutgers guy wasn't interested in a job where losing 3 games the season after falling a FG shy of the NCG was enough to have boosters talk you into retiring.

Bama went through a sh!tpile of coaches in the 90's. Why? Couldn't find one worth a sh!t that was interested in a job where Gene Stallings' record would cause you to "resign"

It has happened at schools with a lot more history and tradition than we have. If you honestly think this job would be attractive if we fire Miles, you're fooling yourself.

1 person likes this.
  2. Herb

Herb Founding Member

Unbelievable. Another "I hate Miles" thread.

The opposite of the so-called "sunshine pumpers" on this board are the ones who want to pump Saban where the sun don't shine.

3. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

Les Miles is a good coach.Cholly Mac was an excellent coach, who had the unfortunate circumstances of being a contemperary of Coach Bryant.

No scholly limit. Bama took players just to keep them from other schools.(anybody remember Tommy Wilcox)

LSU was fundamentally sound on both sides of the ball and would lay a lick on you.

From Bert Jones, to Charles Alexander (the great), I dreaded playing those teams.

Nothing second rate about Cholly Mac.

2 people like this.
  4. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Nootch...This is exactly what I meant when I said on another post that LSU is NOT the most attractive program in the USA for head coaches. In fact it's one of the worst. All because of a delusional fan base.

I compared The post McClendon decade(s) and the post Bear Bryant decade(s) to what is currently the situation here at LSU.

There was very little response...one or two posts...before Miles bashing continued.

Either I'm on a lot of ignore lists or That was something the anti Miles crowd didn't want to see.

5. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

i just don't get it.

best 5 year run in the HISTORY of the school.

never ever been done in Baton rouge before now.
    and that's not good enough for some people.

i really think if some of these people were given the car of their dreams, they would try to get rid of it because it ain't the right color.

1 person likes this.
  6. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Cholly Mac was a great LSU coach, all of you naysayers can say what you want about him. Look how long it took for LSU to consistently recover from getting rid of him. The grass isn't always greener folks, and it can stay dormant for quite some time. Miles won a freakin NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, come on man. He's not perfect but give the man a break. It takes a good coach and luck for ANY coach to accomplish that. So is Urban Meyer nothing now because he got owned by BAMA and won one of his championships with Zooks talent? I don't even like Meyer but understand that he is a good coach. I respectfully disagree with your alleged premise and your alleged anlalogy. Go Tigers!

EDIT: And cutting to the chase, Saban is winning with Shula's talent if you are trying to dump on Miles. Saban's been at Bama as long as Miles was when we won the Ship in 07.

7. stevescookin

See...half an hour and no response. If you'd have simply called out Miles and demanded his head on a platter, there would have been five posts agreeing with you already.

1 person likes this.
  8. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

Don't label me a Miles basher but one thing to consider. There are four teams that we play every year with coaches generally considered upper tear. Florida, Ole Miss, Arkansas and Alabama. Here is our record against those schools during the Miles era:

2005 4-0
    2006 3-1
    2007 3-1
    2008 0-4
    2009 1-3

No mater how you want to explain it, the trend is troubling.

For the life of me I can't figure out what the problem is at a high level. Sure you can say the lose of RP, slow development of JJ, oline not getting it done, co-def coordinators, etc were factors. The question is what is overall driver responsible for that? I would think it has to come down to the head man at some point. But how can a guy that has recruited lights out and won a NC suddenly not know how to coach? Did he just get lucky? Now way. I don't by that. I was a big fan of Miles even after last year. I'm still a fan for that mater but I guess he's lost a little of his luster. I really thought Crowton was a great hire too. I just don't know what to think anymore. Maybe my expectations are too high, as some point out, but I don't think they are.

I think Les needs to do something to get the fun back into the offense. When I watch this team I feel like I'm holding my breath on every play. Praying that they won't do something stupid. I want to be excited to see the next play and what kind of great play call and execution is coming. Not just hopping we can get the pay off or that JJ doesn't take a sack or that we don't run the option to short side of the field. I think that's one of the reason fans were screaming to see RS so much this year. He made the offense fun to watch. You could feel the excitement in the stadium go up exponentially when he came onto the field.

2 people like this.
  9. stevescookin

Great post Pharpe...and I dont think you're a Miles basher.

Your point is valid and very true. It is troubling to lose regularly, the last two years or so to the big dogs on our regular schedule. It's a troubling trend. And I didn't enjoy our wins this year as much either. You forgot to mention that last year we had Georgia and Florida hang over 50 points on us, and Arkansas beat us with a crippled team because we quit. Not to mention the inexcusable end to this year's Ole Miss game.

Any sane Tiger fan HAS to be concerned about it. I think Miles addressed the defensive issues well last year with Chavis and the other new defensive position coaches. Looks like he's addressing the offensive issues this year right now as well with the hiring of Frank Williams and the rumored hiring of Tyke Tolbert and Kragthorpe (see the Frank Williams thread in the recruiting forum). It looks like Crowton will be here another year at least because they seem to be hiring three new assistants imminently and it's doubtful to think they'd hire all these assistants and then a new OC last. It seems that this Kragthorpe rumor may indicate that he could be an OC in waiting if Crowton has to go after next year.

I think this year was a little better than last year defensively...If the offense gets better next year, the trend may be reversing, but it's wait and see at this point. a convincing win over Penn State will help.

It's just not time yet to fire Miles now. It's not just the posters here saying that. It's my own family, friends and customers who are knee jerk reactionists who can only open up a discussion about LSU with "Miles has to go." or "Miles won with Saban's players".

It's OK to be a Miles basher. He has to be held accountable for the downward trend. But "Miles has to go." is a very thoughtless, narrow minded and disturbing mantra because the bottom line is...the expectations of winning immediately or else is a delusion. And as Nootch pointed out:

Who the he!! would want to come here and coach...there's no pleasing this fanbase.

Once again, great post and I agree with you.

1 person likes this.
  10. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

Truth.