Les Miles=Charlie McClendon

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by WestCoastTiger, Dec 6, 2009.

1. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Dude, you're simply looking at W/L. It's quality of play on the field that is the problem. Our coaching staff is very well paid and we shouldn't have to settle considering that. LSU is trending down and seems to be slipping back to mediocrity. Just because you are satisfied with looking no deeper than W/L doesn't mean the more discriminating of us shouldn't voice our concerns. LSU fans aren't the only ones that have doubts about Miles. It is a national epidemic.

LSU is a great job with passionate fans, a double edged sword. Coaching at LSU is a great opportunity to coach at the highest level that isn't the NFL (a different beast all together; I believe many have taken note of the path taken by Spurrier and Saban and it is less appealing than ever). A good coach that believes in himself would not shy away from LSU.

Benefits of LSU...
    :eek:nly major school in state
    :strong recruting state, borders Texas, and not far from Florida
    :tradition in football
    :talent on board
    :great salary
    :impressive facilities

I agree with Ott - its a top 10 job.

I think you should take a step back and realize that most schools have passionate fans and that we aren't as bad as you believe we are.

2. TigerCliff

TigerCliff Veteran Member

QB and good DC in 05 yep
    QB and good DC in 06 yep
    QB and good DC in 07 yep
    QB and good DC in 08 nope
    QB and good DC in 09 we got better with a good DC

most of you are tying 07 to 08 with Saban players!

I do blame CLM and Crowton for not having better QB ready to go
    I do Blame CLM for DC in 08!

Is it possibel to have 5 year runs like you are calling for?

cliff:miles:

3. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Nothing wrong with passionate fans...but what are their criteria for success???

See...that's where the problem is.

4. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

The criteria is not passion, it's insanity. I will LMAO when we win another SECC.

Under Miles.

5. TigerCliff

TigerCliff Veteran Member

USC lost OC and DC and QB fell off had nothing to do with former coach players!!!

Flordia lost OC and O fell off

It happens in college football

Les won it all in 07 ! but he is a BAD coach ! stupid!! auburn game, 1st Tenn Game ,Florida Game going for it on 5 4th downs, Ole Miss - oh my God

Les has issues

Urban has issues

Saban control freak drives everyone crazy can't stay anywhere more than 5 years has issues

The number of people I work with that would fire Les today is amazing. I can't even talk Tiger football. They are not going to bowl and could care less about the Penn State game. They tell me its embarrassing to be seen out of state as a Tiger fan.

Not me bro!!! Bring it on and I'm on the boat. My coach Les Miles the best 5 year record at LSU than any coach we have ever had. Any body that knows anything about football will tell you it's hard to do what Nick did at LSU and Bama but it's hard to follow the act also. Nick takes the job at ND your going to tell me anyone that follows Nick at Bama is not going to have a tough time. I also know in 08 we went 3/5 in SEC - bad and in 09 we went 5/3 better!

well enough

cliff:miles:

6. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

you are missing my point completely.
    the exact same things could be said about the other schools I've mentioned making coaching moves in our situation.

if you run off a guy with Miles record here, the National Perception becomes "anything less than a conference title every year is simply unacceptable". coaching candidates know that those expectations are simply impossible to accomplish. and therefore are not as interested in the job as some of you would like to believe.

Nebraska had very similar problems to the ones we're having when they ran off Frank Solich.
    Solich had an impressive W-L record, went to the title game, 2 years later went 9-2 and got fired. fans thought it was a good move, because "quality of play" wasn't what they were accustomed to seeing. but nationally, the perception was much, MUCH different. Everybody and their brother turned that job down, because the perception was that anything short of unrealistic expectations would get you run off in just a couple of years. They ended up having to settle for a guy that got laughed out of the NFL for ruining the Raiders. They haven't been Nationally Relevant since.

Exact same thing happened to Michigan after the '07 season. Several candidates turned that job down to keep what many would consider lesser jobs, because the perception was that the results Michigan demanded out of a coach are simply not realistic.

there is nothing wrong with voicing concerns, or even critiquing the coaching staff. i definitely have my concerns, and am not delusional enough to not realize that we have issues that need fixing.

but firing Miles could be a very, VERY dangerous move by LSU.
    one that could slide us right back into the mediocrity/dark ages of the 80s/90s.

7. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I think there are amazing similarities between Les Miles and Charlie Mac. They are treated the same way, and I think it's because of a similar demeanor and the fact that they both followed NC coaches who were perceived as much smoother operators.

But Les Miles has something that Mac never achieved--a national title. However, if the BCS were around then, who knows? I was too young to remember or not even born yet, but Mac had some teams that would've made lots of noise in the BCS system.

Neither are good enough for the "fans."

8. $TigerFan$

$TigerFan$ Father of CajinKid

If we are going to use winning percentage then Hal Hunter (1.000) is the best Tiger coach ever.:rofl:
    And how dare we replace him with Nick Saban who could only manage a .750. Miserable!!!!

Ok in my lifetime:

Charlie Mac 18 yrs. .692
    Jerry Stovall 4 yrs. .511
    Arnsparger 3 yrs. .750
    Archer 4 yrs. .598
    Hallman 4 yrs. .364
    DiNardo 5 yrs. .578
    Hunter 1 Game 1.000
    Saban 5 yrs. .750
    Miles 5 yrs. .785

So far Miles has been the best. Until I really looked at the numbers I never really knew how much better. I sure don't want to go back to the sub .500 years. Thank You Les!!!

9. Chase4LSU

Chase4LSU Waiting on Mettenberger

Since we are predicting the future, we might as well base it on concrete, proven data, ie., the past. Miles went 32-6 his first two years here, 17-8 the last two. In that time we've won three bowl games and a :crystal:. Looking at raw numbers, we improved from 7-5 last year to 9-3 this year in regular season. That improvement makes me believe that we are in a good position to take a national championship home next year. As far as finishing in the top 25 every year, and occasionally the top 10, if you look around, most of the other big schools do the same thing. So that puts us in the category of big schools that always play for the championship every year, or teams that always play for a decent to large bowl if they cannot achieve the championship every year.

I'm satisfied with that:miles::geaux::miles:

10. Herb

Herb Founding Member

In what year does Saban start winning with his own players instead of Shula's?