Les Miles < (Nick Saban && Urban Meyer)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUDeek, Nov 9, 2009.

1. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

I don't need to "feel better" about saying something that's true.

His player personnel people got the Daunte vs Drew debacle very wrong, and the Saints benefited. Do you really think he isn't still coaching Miami if Drew Brees is the QB?

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Subjective opinons aren't provable. You can only believe that it is true.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

So he makes a personnel error and bolts? Talk about character. Who the hell wants a guy who takes Duante Culpepper over Drew Brees anyway?

4. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

When Saban loses to Meyers in the SECCG, and then loses to whomever in the Sugar Bowl, again, will you think the same of him. As for Meyers, I will say he is one of, if not the best coach in the college ball, right now. Meyers, Saban, and Miles are all 3 great coaches, and I see the SEC being decided by these 3 respective teams for several years to come. None of them will OWN the other.

5. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

If he does lose to Florida and lose a bowl game, yes, because he will still have beaten LSU head to head and had an undefeated regular season for the second year in a row.

6. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

i'm going to go with you on this with the following caveat:

right now, bama and florida's main rivals are way down.
    florida more or less has their pick of the litter in recruiting in the state of fla because FSU is dying. UGA is having a downtime as well. so is tenn.

there is some crossover with tenn b/c for bama, tenn is down and so is AU. so bama is going to reap the benfits just like florida is doing.

the good news for LSU is that they have no in state competition and in essence (and in my opinion) the road is actually better for recruiting in La. and east texas as it would seem one could build a great team with just talent from those two places and cherry picking a few others here and there.

the problem for LSU right now is probable/possible L's on the schedule.

they have to play fla and bama EVERY year.

even a spilt wouldn't assure the tigers of the west every year beating bama or not.

if you want miles to ascend to the level of meyer and saban cheer for UGA, tenn, AU, and FSU (also miami) to become elite programs again. cut into their recruiting base and give them more chances at losses each year.

it will be nice (no idea when it happens) when bama and fla rotate back into playing each other for two seasons (more so for a probable bama loss).

LSU is doing just fine they just need a little help

7. Trolyce

Trolyce Founding Member

I don't understand the relevance of judging the quality of our coach by comparing him to other coaches. Miles should be judged on his ability to bring in talent and how he coaches that talent.

I think he has done a good job of bringing in quality recruits but I also think he has greatly underachieved in developing those recruits and utilizing their potential.

Les is a good coach but not a great coach and with him at the helm we will continually lose 2 - 4 games a year.

And let's be realistic about the one National Championship he has....it took miracle losses by Missouri and WVU for us to even get to the championship and beat an OSU team that had no business being there.

8. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

I wouldn't put much stock in that analogy. This has been the perfect storm for Saban to achieve that lofty goal, as well as Meyer. Lets see how the does in the long run. Miles has a better record at LSU than Saban did, and for the most part some of the traditional powerhouses of the SEC have been down (LSU last yr, Auburn, UT, UGA). With many of the teams evening out the playing field over the next few years, lets see how things pan out then. If all of the traditional powerhouses are playing at their best, and some of the middle teams continue to rise, I don't see Saban and Bama riding this wave of success they have enjoyed the past 2 yrs. Which the end of one yr was a typical Saban led team let down, and I can see this year ending the same way. I would rather have a team that finishes with 10-11 wins and a bowl win every yr, than to have it crash in disappointment every yr. Undefeated in the regular season means nothing it you can't finish it out.

9. urtoosmall

urtoosmall Founding Member

Would Urban Meyer have a championship if Tim Tebow didn't sign with Florida? Would he even be considered an elite coach?

10. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

(why am i about to defend fla???!!!)

urban still recruited and coached him, that's the point.
    would any coach have a NC that didn't recruit good players and leaders?