Les Miles < (Nick Saban && Urban Meyer)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUDeek, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Tigers Paw

Tigers Paw Founding Member

Come on now. I am by no means a fan of Miles but let's not give up on next year against Bama or any team for that matter. They do lose a lot on defense so I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens.

2. Tigers Paw

You may be right but I don't want to settle for second best so if Miles can't get it done I have faith the higher ups will bring in a coach who will.

W e all know the potential of this program with the right coach in charge.

3. downtown

downtown Founding Member

As soon as you concede that you were wrong about LSU having no chance to win the 2007 SEC Championship game and basically having nothing to play for. I'm pathetic...I know. I do have a good memory though. I'll let it go now.

I don't know, we looked MUCH better against Bama than Florida did and we were playing at Bama and had our two most important players for that game knocked out. And we still would have had a shot without the refs screwing us.

But seriously, I think it's obvious right now that those two are currently coaching much better than Miles. I agree, but I didn't need to see the game today to agree with that sentiment.

Although I will say that Miles did take the biggest POS program and turn it into a consistent winner (Oklahoma State). I don't know what he did there, but he did a great job. He's done good at LSU and has been the most dominant bowl coach by far too. The guy has done some very good things in his coaching career. But we're seeing some big issues now. The quality has dropped considerably and our development of young players is really starting to show. And I'm always scared that we could have a total collapse. That's not something I'd really fear with Saban or Meyer.

But there is a silver lining in Bama doing great (as much as that kills me to say it), it keeps the pressure on to really PRODUCE at LSU. Next year will be a pressure cooker and a BIG improvement in performance will be expected or changes will shortly follow.

1 person likes this.
  4. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Your definition of giving up and mine are probably 2 different things.
    I didn't say that I gave up on next year.

5. WestCoastTiger

WestCoastTiger Founding Member

There is no question the Alabama program under Saban will continue to compete for National Championships. He has restored that program to prominence the way he brought LSU back. He is flat out the best coach in America. We have a good coach but good is not good enough in this league. I really believe we can have a solid program 9-4 to 10-3 every year under CLM. The question for us Tiger fans, is that good enough?

I say no. We are relagated to the 3rd best team in the SEC. Worse yet we are 2nd in the SECw behind our former coach. Unfortunately for us NS is clearly a better coach than CLM.

6. Sourdoughman

The problem that I see is that I don't know who you could hire to do a better job?:confused:
    A lot depends on next year but we don't need the coaching carousel back into high gear like we had in the Eighties and Nineties.

7. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

that is an unknown. Saban wasn't proven until he came to LSU and had access to the talent in the south.

You have no idea who the next great coach is out there. Time marches on, things change, great coaches become not-so great coaches, young coaches get hungry, you just don't know...... there is no way to know unless you have some sort of cyrstal ball. Even with all the study an AD does, it is still a bit of luck and a chance taken when you hire a coach. Will the team and coach fit? We've seen many great coaches have bad seasons. Miles may be able to step up and be top tier, but it is obvious from his game day management that he isnt there at this time.
    things change my friend, time marches on.

I get what you are saying though, right now you dont see anyone better than those two. BUT I submit to you that given the talent pool here and in the south...... there COULD be half a dozen coaches as good as Saban or Meyer.

1 person likes this.
  8. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

I dont think Miles is going anywhere so this is a moot discussion. Our best hope is that we get a dynamite OC and hope he stays a few years then maybe someone hires Miles at Meeee chigan and the OC takes the reigns.

There may not be anyone out there as good as Meyer or Saban but I know several as good as Miles. and the unknowns could be better? thats unknown so its a crap shoot.

Just saying...

9. Tigers Paw

Well you did say you were happy with second or third best so if you want to look at it that way I guess you are not giving up on next year. Just giving up on winning the west.

10. Sourdoughman

Figuratively speaking, I also said that every once in a while I do think CLM's can beat them.
    For the most part, no I don't see CLM's winning the west very often.
    Alabama does have the same team minus a few players next year.
    I've heard on this board that next year is our year but until proven otherwise next year Bama will be just as good if not better.
    CLM's hasn't shown the ability to beat CHN much either so what makes anyone think he can beat CNS on a regular basis?