Les Miles shows some class...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by locoguano, May 19, 2006.

1. youcandoit1687

youcandoit1687 Founding Member

lol sorry, i dunno. i mean as an lsu fan itd be awesome no doubt. and i dont know the context of the letter. i just think it would be weird to receive a letter from a coach from another sport. dunno lol wasnt bashing the whole idea sry, im sure its good for our U and puts our name out there. maybe for these ppls friends. anybody know what these letters said specifically?

2. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

I like it. Good move, Les. He is investing his energy in our state, and doing it personally. If I got a letter from him, I'd get a charge out of it.

3. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

It is a smart, thoughtful thing to do. I am sure some of those kids will remember that when it comes time to pick a college. Not that that will be the deciding factor, but it is little things like that which can have an impact. At the very least it shows them what kind of a guy Miles is. More power to him.

4. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

it is great PR. Besides, there are a lot of athletes who play multiple sports. How many football players have we had who also played basketball, track or baseball whle they were in high school, or college for that matter? Quite a few.

5. ok awesome

ok awesome geaux

It's nice to get something like that, even if it isn't hand-written or you didn't expect it.

I got one of those "President's Award for Academic Excellence" certificates in like 6th or 7th grade and I thought that was pretty cool, even though it was mass produced with a stamped signature from ol' Bill.

I bet anyone who got one of those letters was very excited to see it. I doubt anyone said "what? Les Miles? I don't play football. This guy is really creeping me out!"

6. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

Les Miles is the type of guy to invest himself not only in the football program, but the University, and the community. I don't know if he did that exact same thing, but he definitely showed that kind of attitude when he was at OSU. It is part of what makes me respect him.

7. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

Also from the same DD report:

Nice to know he is making a good impression on the HS coaches!

8. youcandoit1687

the only reason i sed that it would be weird was because i was trying to imagine being a non LSU fan kid in HS and get a letter from a coach in another sport. i really wanna see what these letters looked like. i dont think it could hurt, it could only do good. just COULD be weird

9. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Does it seem weird? To some, it's evident that it does--but I think only because this might be the first time any of us have heard of such a thing.

The way I look at it is simple: Reguardless of sport or head coach, they are ALL part of the LSU athletics department...More importantly, all coaches are PAID by the Athletic Department.

So take this out of "sports context" and look at it from the business perspective. In whatever job any of us are in or associated with, don't you want the company you work for to be the best--to make the most profit?? The point I'm trying to make is that even though some of these individuals that got letters from CLM aren't exactly football players, doesn't mean that he can't want his fellow head coaches to have the very best talent to compete and represent at LSU. After all, the better each team LSU fields becomes, the more likely fans are to come out and support them--and that means more $$$$ for the athletic department....which, in a way, could mean LSU being in a better position in the future to offer coaches' salaries, stadium renovations, etc.

10. youcandoit1687

good points atlanta. so no one has heard of this happening before or has an example of what the letter is like?