Les Miles Will Make History This Season.....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by katmandu, Aug 13, 2014.

1. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

The minute I care what a Gump thinks, will be a sign that the end of the world is near.

TigerTap, Bengal B and shane0911 like this.
  2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Great post @kcal everyone knows I'm not the leader of the Les Miles band, hell I'm not even a b list groupie, but even I can't argue with his success. I can however point out how it could have been even better. ;)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
    Bengal B likes this.
  3. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Back when wrestling was dropped at LSU, there was a wrestler who walked on the team named Jay Egloff, word was, one of the Srs on the defensive side of the ball, didnt like the block Jay gave him in practice, an told him if he did it again, he was gonna have to kick Jays ass. Well Jay gave him another good block, within seconds of coming into Jays face, Jay had him eating dirt. I knew Jay had done very well after LSU.
    He earned a wrestling scholarship to LSU, but when the university dropped the program a few weeks before he arrived he tried out for the football team instead. He not only made it but became a special teams captain as a junior and a part-time starter at fullback as a senior.

Meanwhile, he satisfied a long desire by earning his pilot's license -- then graduated and joined the Marines to become a fighter pilot.

He began flying F-18 fighters in 1995 and has had at least a half-dozen overseas deployments, often to Japan or Korea. He also spent seven months in Iraq and Afghanistan.
    Congrats Tiger[/QUOTE]

4. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Sour grapes says they couldn't? Sour grapes says Joe Pa couldn't win 100 of 101 games? Or Bryant 100 of his first 109? Geez.

You know, let me put this another way. Let's say I'm bragging on a kid and say he's averaging over 10 yards a carry. But, he's only carried the ball nine times and one rush was for 90 yards. Is that telling the whole story? Would you let it slide? Heck no, on both counts.

There's a good example of sour grapes in this thread—it isn't found with your assertion I would have to "rain on Les' parade to be proud of Bryant."

5. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

By no means do I think Miles should hang his head. It's been a historical run for the LSU program these last two decades.

Miles winning percentage in conference play isn't very far under that .798. I know it's above .700; want to say it's at .710 or something like that.

I don't know if anyone will be able to break Florida's winning percentage in Spurrier's first ten years (a little under .870 as I recall.)

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

You are completely missing the point. It's like the asterisk beside Roger Maris' home run record, done to placate fans of Babe Ruth. Les made a milestone accomplished by few. That does not diminish the milestones made by earlier coaches and there were plenty of those. But you felt compelled to diminish Les' milestone.

On an Alabama board, I would let it slide. I have no problem with you being proud of Bryant. Here, you are going to get an earful. We are proud of our coach, too.

luvdimtigers, titoabad1 and cajdav1 like this.
  7. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Beautiful posts Red!

8. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

No sir. That response had nothing to do with being proud of Bryant. As I clearly stated, it was the flaws found in the comparisons with two coaches—one who happened to be Bryant. Take notice I made no comment about the comparison to Bowden: the number of games coached are almost identical.

The point of it being a "great accomplishment by Miles" doesn't fit with an attempt "to diminish Les' milestone." You're imagining the comment to be a slight against Miles—it wasn't.

—————

Different subject real quick- You mention the asterisk and Maris.

FoxSports releases their article listing the Coaches All-SEC teams. For players who received the same number of votes (ties,) they have this statement at the top of the article: "2014 Preseason Coaches All-SEC Football Teams ((asterisk) - ties)"

Now, look at the article. Truly, a WTH moment when I looked over the list.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/list-of-coaches-preseason-all-sec-teams-082114

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

And you can't see the asterisk you put there?

Editors are at a premium these days . . .

10. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

I am one...you'd be surprised how little value we have in the news. Making sure advertisements are correct? Oh heck yeah...