Les takes the blame...read the transcript.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Rex C., Nov 23, 2009.

1. Rex C.

Rex C. member

I’ll be the first to agree that the play calling and clock management was horrible during that last minute at Ole Miss...and I'll concede that we've had similar problems throughout the year.

BUT - for those of you who want to elevate this debacle into the realm of character assassination – well, all I can say is - read the transcript.

What you glean from it will likely depend on your bias going in...but I don’t think anyone can deny Les Miles clearly states that it was his fault.

Here's one of three quotes where he takes the blame:

QUESTION: "What did you tell your guys after the game?"
    MILES: "They're sick. I encouraged them. I took the discredit, personally."

Again if you’re anti-Miles, fine – there is ample reason to be pissed.
    But to make him out to be a coward and a liar is ridiculous.

Transcript from Miles press conference after Ole Miss loss

1 person likes this.
  2. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

He didn't do it publicly enough or soon enough. We've all seen the famous video of him trying to get out of trouble like a kid caught doing something wrong. He should be in a press conference right about now...we'll see what he says.

By the way what does "discredit" mean?...why didn't he just say "It's MY fault...not the players...not the assistants"

Stop the coach speak please !!!

3. Rex C.

Rex C. member

Yeah - that caught my eye as well...but I don't think it was any kind of secret doublespeak - just a poor choice of words.

We'll see what he says on the next press conference.

4. $TigerFan$

$TigerFan$ Father of CajinKid

I never know what the H3ll les is talking about. Can he put together a sentence or is he doing this on purpose?:huh:

5. Crip*TEAM KATT

Crip*TEAM KATT As Wild As We Wanna Be

And he also said, "I did not call the clock play"

6. Carface

Carface What the...?

He took the blame during his presser. If I'm misquoting Les, feel free to correct me. Here's a couple of notes:

• He said that he mismanaged the back end of the game.
    • Took responsibility for the time mishandling and the playcalling.
    • Said that initially wanted a run play on the 2 point conversion, but the personnell wasn't in, but liked the receivers he had on the field.
    • Said that an Ole Miss player came up with the ball, from his view, and that he was saying that the receiver was down, not calling to clock the ball.
    • "This is a difficult time and we're certainly going to have to do well and perform from this point forward. I regret the mistake, it cost my team a best opportunity at victory."
    • Says that it takes 12 seconds to get his hurry up field goal kicking unit in place and kicking.
    • When the ball is caught at the five, he says there was 3 seconds on the clock. He attempted to get the time put back on the clock, but the refs were running off the field.
    • Says that when the ball is placed, the clock would immediately have ticked the 1 second off. The sheet doesn't even show a ball spike, it shows that time expired.

7. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

The whole thing is very embarrassing for LSU football. Our coach let us down, and I don't really care what he says, he just comes off as very bumbling throughout the whole thing. After the game, and during this press conference.

I personally have lost a good bit of respect for him, and really opens my eyes on some other play calls in the past that may have went our way, but were bad calls. This is just a very hard way to take a loss, I hope he and the team can recover from it.

8. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

It didn't have to come to this. I've harped on this already -- on first and ten from the 32, Run, Run, Run! Why get cute and pass?

:geauxtige

9. bmy-

bmy- Founding Member

He took blame for it about as many times as he threw Jefferson under the bus.

10. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

It doesn't matter if he took full credit for the call a thousand times. He lied once and that's all it takes to be a liar.