Les talking today...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUDad, Mar 6, 2014.

1. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

What articles? Jennings and Harris both graduated HS and enrolled at LSU early, so I know there isn't an issue with their intelligence. Jennings picked up the playbook and beat out a guy who had been here for 3 years as backup. Are you concerned with Rettig's intelligence?

LSUDad and Winston1 like this.
  2. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

Regarding the QB situation, we'll be okay. Let's have a little faith in the players and the coaching staff.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I don't think you folks are understanding what HWR is saying. There are several key virtues that a starting quarterback in the SEC must possess. First and foremost they have to have an arm--you can't play modern QB if your are a running back in disguise. Secondly they must have mental agility--not intelligence, but how quickly and effectively he can read a defense, demonstrate some pocket awareness, and go through his receiver options without being sacked. Past that it is nice to have a quarterback with mobility--not just scrambling out of a collapsing pocket but able to run the option and the draw. Other nice to have virtues are height, toughness, and not injury-prone.

I agree with HWR, all the rhetoric seems to be about how well they pass and how well they run rather than how well they can think, when mental agility at QB is so vital to success. You need look no further than Jamarcus Russel to see a quarterback with exceptional passing and scrambling ability but slow on the uptake. It took him 3 years to learn a dumbed-down playbook at LSU and he never could read a defense or run an offense in the NFL.

None of these young quarterbacks have played enough for us to asses all of their virtues yet. But I suspect the coaches are getting an idea by now, except for the freshman.

HalloweenRun, Kal-El012 and LSUDad like this.
  4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I didn't say that, I said that others would take your comments and make them worse. You know how people twist things.

5. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

No, because he will probably be 3rd string by the end of fall. By the way, the original poster didn't mention any names. Retig also took reps and would have been included in his comments. Don't try to make it something it's not, put your race card back in your pocket.

6. red55

Based on what? One of last years freshmen was going to be redshirted and Rettig was it. It does't mean that he can't play.

LSUDad likes this.
  7. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Don't try an read too much into the first practice, still a long way to go. It was only the first. We'll see how they progress, this is coaching always has been, always will be. I know this, LSU has two of the best coordinators on both sides of the ball in college right now. Long time till the first game, this is the time to shine. We'll see who steps forward in depth. A bunch of open slots.

Thinking about last year, Mett made a major jump. Someone else that greatly benefited on the Cam hire......Magee, he was moved to the WR position, Cam wanted him back at RB, he saw a need, payed off well. If we would have continued, Magee would have stayed at WR and lost in the shuffle. Brought life into a player, a win for all.

cajdav1 likes this.
  8. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Where did you read a post where I said he couldn't play?

9. red55

You rate him third based on what?

10. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

I addressed all three QBs on the roster by what we knew about them. There was no race card played. It's a legit question that has yet to be answered by poster I quoted, but that hasn't stopped you from misinterpreting what I said. No links to these articles that he talked about, so my question was legitimate. Perhaps if he shared them I could see where he's drawing his conclusions from. I have not seen anything that would lead one to question the football IQ of any of the QBs om the roster, so I have no clue what he means.

I'm an open book. You don't have to read between the lines with me. If I think you're racist, I'll call you one. If I think you're not a very good judge of football intelligence, I will call you out on it. If you want to know what I mean, just ask. I have no problems telling you because I don't give a shit what you think.