Les talking today...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUDad, Mar 6, 2014.

1. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

*Price includes dirty jocks.

cajdav1 likes this.
  2. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

This OL could end up being one of the better in the nation. With the returning players, add in a player like Evan Washington. I like Evan, knowing that he could kick in to OG. More on Evan:
    I like Fehoko Fanaika coming off the bench if needed, its a long season. I like Pocic also coming off the bench, plus he is your backup OC, an had to start at that position last year in a game. Long season...

I do like the OL Coach hire, this has been needed. Everyone on the line will be better for it. We should start to see some of this line have shots in the NFL. Money year for a few lineman.

Also returning all the TE's from last year, another plus.

gyver and ParadiseiNC like this.
  3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

But will they see meaningful playing time? No one came off the bench much last season, not even Pocic who was in a very tight race to be the starter at center right up until game one. Then he just rode the bench. Studrawa never rotated in the reserves, I hope the new coach does.

LSUDad likes this.
  4. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Pocic was pushing, an thats is what was needed for Porter. Pocic was out of high school, going against some of the better DL, tough to do. Look at the lines, OL and DL personnel, few get playing time. LSU looks to have some depth on both sides this year. Talking with Mike Detillier, he and I both see Pocic as an OC, the same position his Dad and brother played. But some of the Spring, Pocic was used as LOT, another thing that will help him and the team.

More on the offense:

Everyone knows Les loves to run the ball, but it's what Cam wants, hes driving this car. Last year we had a Pro QB with an arm that could spread the field. This year, Cam will adjust to personnel. Thats what the good OC do. His strengths will be at TE, WR, and RB once the newer guys get their feet on the ground in the Fall. The major strength will be the OL, Cam and Les both know this, so does everyone else. TE blocking also comes into play, returning all the TE's help. The thing is look at what Cam did last year, look at the QB's numbers and still having the RB's putting up those numbers. This year, he'll want to use what he has. I like this OL and the hired coach, this is one thing that has been missing, won't take long for this line to gel. Returning starters and all are very good players, they just need coaching, they look to have one of the better returning lines in the nation. Shouldn't take long to plug in one player, like I said, Washington would be a start, but he'll have to work for his job. Being a SR, should give him some drive if he wants to get into an NFL camp. He has NFL size, having player and started a college game at OT, kicking him inside can only payoff in the long run. OT have to be able to move, so I've seen him move at that position. OG should be an easy transition.

5. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

On the defensive side of the ball, lots of youth played last year, more so with the DB's. Two true Freshman came into their own. The loss of Loston is a hit, he knew where everyone needed to be. The moving of Mills to Safety can payoff big time, he knows as much as any returning player. LB's, lots of talent returning and many have started, shouldn't be a problem. DL, many of these guys took a Red-Shirt, this too was one position that need depth last year, but the staff didn't just throw people out there. A year under their belt in the system will come into play.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I don't know about his dad and brother, but Pocic is built like a tackle. He has that length and leverage to keep the quick ends away. A shorter man can be effective at center, but a tall man who has the size and mobility to play left tackle is rare.

One injury and we will be very thin in SEC-caliber running backs this year. I suspect Cameron will be using them heavily. And if our young quarterbacks can't make SEC defenses respect the pass, the power game will be hard slugging this season.

LSUDad likes this.
  7. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

His brother is 6'6 1/4", played OC at Ill. I know OT are very rare, could be why hes been seen at LOT in the Spring. But he needed to push Porter last year, some need pushing. We could see Hawk move over to LT once Collins is gone. The cross training can olny help these players in the long run.

I agree on the RB's, LF coming in is a major plus, but I wouldn't sleep on the Williams kid. Same with the W/O from Plaquemine, talked with someone the other day that followed him through high school. The moving of Magee back to RB, has payed off well. He would have been lost. The move of Melvin Jones to FB/RB, looks to be a good one. Very athletic for a big guy. I think Cam has more than enough weapons to make a good run this year. Cam is getting the QB's to learn the finer points of the position, this has been needed. I look at what plays were called and when last year, the 3rd down conversion rate (57%) will tell you something. Look at Metts YPA 10.41 and a QB efficiency of 171.45.

gyver likes this.
  8. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

I think we will; see Pocic at LT next season...

LSUDad likes this.
  9. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

10. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member