Less than a month to go for doves

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by jvalhenson, Aug 8, 2015.

1. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

Season here opens at noon sept 4. Bout to go knock down a few paths in the millet and knock another section down each week keep plenty on the ground. Kinda lucky I bushhogged and turned over a bunch of ground that had some Congo grass in it to kill that and I noticed shortly after that that a bunch of millet started to get all throughout that. I had planted that area last year but didn't this year but apparently there was a bunch of seed left over in the ground that decided to volunteer once the ground got turned over. Actually a lot more growing there than what I planted this year and its a good month behind so should be just right for 2nd and maybe even 3rd seasons. As for birds got about what I'd expect for early August comin in.

2. jvalhenson

birds seem to be increasing slowly but steadily mainly in the afternoons....not much activity from daylight to about 2 then a few trickle in then about 330 to 4 they start piling in in waves. hopefully they keep coming in and bringing their buddies another few weeks. always a worry that someone not to far off decides to bait a field 2 weeks before the season and sucks these birds that I spent the time and money on to get in here legally to them.

3. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Better hope they don't bait and you remain in the flight. At least in La. you can be ticketed for shooting birds flying to or from a baited field as well as "over" one.

Always thought this was unfair, IF a person really didn't know. I also figured that's where the need arose. People could stand in a field next to the baited one and lie.

4. jvalhenson

Nah I ain't worried about that. We have a similar law but that only applies if there can intent shown. As in you are hunting near enough to the baited field to catch their flight while not having a prepared field of your own so their is an intent there to be taking advantage of the illegal field. If you are sitting on a legally prepared field and someone a mile away baits you are perfectly legal here so long as their is no apparent intent to take advantage of that illegal field.

5. jvalhenson

Don't know what's up with the birds this year. One day there's a couple hundred the next 50. Still mostly in the evenings. Gettin reports from all over of the same spotty at best at everyone's fields I've talked to. Season opens Friday and don't have very high expectations like I've had the past few years but I'll be shootin anyways. Still got plenty millet standing that I'm holding for 2nd season hopefully more show up