Lester Ricard

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by dallastigers, Apr 3, 2003.

1. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

All reports that I have read make it look like Lester is having a very good Spring. It looks like he is at least #3 now and may have an outside shot at #2 at some point this upcoming season if this continues into the fall. Nothing official. That is just based on what I have read about his performance and reps. He seems to be throwing the ball really well.

2. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member

I had a dream last night that we were playing our first game of the season vs. Auburn. Unfortunatly Randall was the starting QB but played pretty good. Except for the first play of the game. Randall dropped back, couldn't find anyone open so he took off running, he ran about 70yds (looked pretty fast) and got to the 10. At that point he was about to get tackled by a defender, when he saw a wide open Clayton in the endzone, Randall's dumb ass threw the ball too him, drawing the flag. This might have been a sign of things to come if he is starting QB this season. Addia ran it in from 20yds on the next play. Addia and Vincent, each ran for about 200yds. It was one of the most detailed dreams I have ever had. It was great!!

I believe the final score was something like

LSU 84
    AU 45

Pretty high scoring and exciting dream!!!!! Let's start a petition for year around football!!!!!

3. BigJ4LSU

BigJ4LSU Founding Member

hahahahaha

4. Hub

Hub Founding Member

On an island by myself, I think just the opposite of you guys relative to Randall. I would prefer him as the starter over Mauck. In all honesty I really don't care for either one but considering what we have to work with I go with Randall.

As I have said 1,000 times, the only game Mauck played good was the Fla game and many people think that was his coming out party...I disagree. He had 2 TD passes in the game.....both of which were TDs b/c of adjustment and ability of the WR (DH)...Mauck didn't make any miraculous passes or anything. Other than that game he did absolutely nothing. Randall on the other hand had several good moments.....S. Carolina, Ark, 1/2 of Cotton Bowl, and some of Ole Miss. And yes he did have his bad ones...Auburn just awful and Ala not much better. Add to that the fact Randall played against much stiffer competion than did Mauck.

Bring on Jamarcus or Matt!!

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

During the first half of the Cotton Bowl the announcers were comparing Randall to Joe Montana but then he fell apart in the second half Mauck is a good runner and team leader but he dosen't have the passing ability we need in the SEC Lest hope that either Ricard wins the job or that one of the new guys is one of those rare freshmen who can take over from the start of his college career

6. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member

I think its really hard to tell who is going to be better for LSU.

Hub has good points.....the level of competition Mauck went up against is nothing compared to what Randall went against. Mauck had a great game against Florida, but one week earlier we were calling for his head.

TigerSaint also has good points......Randall sometimes made bad decisions. And it seemed that after the "Bluegrass Miracle" he wanted to recreate it every play.

Saban will let the best man play, and for all we know it might be neither Mauck or Randall come Fall.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

While Matt Mauck didn't play against the same level of competition as Randall did last year due to his injury lets not forget the the 2 best games of Maucks career came in the SEC championship game against Tennessee when he had to come off the bench for Rohan Davey and against Florida, so he is capable of rising to the occasion aganst stiff competition. Still, I believe that the key to the success of the Tigers in the foreseeable future is in the hands of either Lester Ricard or one of the new guys, Matt Flynn or Ja Marcus Russell

8. BigJ4LSU

BigJ4LSU Founding Member

I agree with TS Mauck won't lose games for you he just does enough to win and sometimes that is all you need, just look at Ohio St's QB.

9. TomyDingo

TomyDingo Founding Member

to be honest, all he did in that game was run well. He didn't pass very well. QB Draw was the key to that victory. BUT still he had a lot of pressure on him and he hung in there. I think there's no doubt that Mauck will be the starter. I like Randall more, he's still my boy, but Mauck's not going to lose his starting spot because of an injury. Lets just hope he's really throwing as well as Saban says he is.

10. I think the advantage that we have been able to see in Mauck over Randall is that Mauck is the more composed. He doesn't seem to get rattled like Randall. Look at his reactions to Redding the Cotton Bowl - that is something that I don't think Mauck would do given his experiences in the minor leagues. It's that same composure that keep Mauck from getting rushed too soon and let the play develop, which is what he was doing against UF.

Having said that, I think the most accurate statement has to go to geauxscott - Saban will play whoever has demonstrated the best overall abilities for the position in the fall. Put faith in Saban and then sit back, relax and wave to everybody as we pass them by.