Let's hope Miles is the first.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Trolyce, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Trolyce

Trolyce Founding Member

Looking back the last 15 years or so, no coach who has had back to back 9 or less win seasons after winning the National Championship has ever won another NC with the same team. Even Lou Hotz (who thinks he's Gods gift to coaching) coached for 14 years after his NC and never won another.

Makes me start to wonder what effect, if any, winning the NC has on a coach? Look at Bobby Bowden, he had two NC's in the 90's and then over the next 10 years, only had two seasons of 10 wins or better.

The big question mark in my mind is, can Miles recover from the events of the last two seasons and win another? I mean, that's our goal right?

If I go back a lot further, Bear Bryant did it once, Switzer did it, Paterno did it - but it's been 24 years since. Not a good comparison, we all know how Bryant and others cheated the system in recruiting back then.

So, come on Miles, be the first modern era coach to hit a dip in the road and bounce back and win another......

2. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I think it speaks largely to the increased parity in college football. Look at the number of schools that have ever won an NC. It aint anywhere near 115. Winning 1 NC is really hard. Winning multiple is even less likely.

3. geauxtigs

geauxtigs Tigers Forever

:geaux: Well said. It's just so hard to even get in the position to win one. So many variables, luck, etc. Then once you get there you've got to actually come home with it, if you can. The program that wins one NC is fortunate. The ones that win more than one are blessed, IMO. And the ones that haven't can only wish, hope & dream. :LSU231: :crystal::crystal::crystal:

4. P&G_wheelz007

P&G_wheelz007 Football anyone?

We are certainly in position to have a great season.

If we can get a few more points out of our offense and cut down on a few mistakes here and there, this season could be special.

The computers are going to love LSU, especially if we keep winning.

UNC - if they get to 7-5, that'll help us
    WVU - if they get to 9-3, that'll help us more
    The SEC teams left on our schedule will only help us, if we keep winning.

Winning is the operative word.

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I think region has alot to do with it. Look at Miami and Florida State for a minute. They used to get any kid they wanted in Florida. Now every team in America is trying to recruit kids out of Florida, plus UF has owned that state the last decade.

Boise State, is it a coincidence that the Washington teams have fallen off the map around the same time that Boise is dominating that region?

I have faith that Les Miles will get this figured out. He made the change on defense after 08, there is no reason to believe that he won't do the same thing with the offense. Maybe he was hampered and couldn't get rid of Crowton, or maybe the fact that Crowton was the coach for the 07 championship, bought him a chance to right the ship offensively. Who knows. All this team needs is a capable quarterback, and to limit penalties and we can beat anyone in the country.

6. Trolyce

Trolyce Founding Member

I don't know, the last 7 have been won by 5 different coaches....and it could quite possibly be 8 of 5 coaches after this season.

7. geauxtigs

geauxtigs Tigers Forever

:geaux: True. Still a long way to go though. :LSU231:

8. Speedy G

Speedy G Founding Member

Well, Bowdon's teams won 10+ games in each of the five years b/w championships, so winning that first one clearly had no negative effect.

It's kind of ridiculous that Penn State didn't get a share of the championship in 1994, which would have given Paterno a "comeback" championship, after several mediocre seasons following his previous one.

9. ehusson80

ehusson80 Founding Member

Wow! I actually totally agree with everything in this post.

10. Ahab the Arab

Ahab the Arab Veteran Member

Yeah…but Less Miles doesn’t have a clue about defense. Thus, he had to do something quick and lucky for him, Chavis happened to be available. However, it was Less Miles that hired Crowton and even though LSU finished 115th in the nation in total offense last season, Less Miles saw to it that Crowton got a raise. Plus offense is Less Miles specialty. Hence, please forgive us for not having any faith whatsoever in Less Miles. Not to mention that it is extremely hard to keep sweeping his coaching faux pas under the rug, even the national media is laughing out loud as LSU and its fanbase.