Lets just assume for a minute RP comes to LSU

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TexasTigers, Feb 1, 2005.

1. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I know he is one of those guys who does not want to redshirt. Fair enough, I hope we dont turn the porchlight off on JR and Flynn. Matter of fact I am still very excited about JR...

So with that said, I wonder if we can work RP into the game plan as an Antwone Randel El type guy, sort of a do everything type person, split him out, back field under center, option you name it.. But JR is the starting QB...

2. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Ryan wants to play Quarterback in College. I'm not sure how excited he'll be about only getting playing time at other positions, but if that would be his only chance to see the field... maybe.

I could see them playing him in a trick play type thing like he did in the High School All-Star game, maybe line him up as a WR but have him throw the ball... I'm not sure how Miles would feel about though.

Ryan is very confident that he can beat anybody out, and I'm curious to see how fast he catches on but I don't think he realizes the difference between college & high school. Don't forget that Jamarcus wasn't rated much lower than RP and he redshirted and then still needed a year to grow.

3. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I guess we can wait until tomorrow, I am sticking to my hunch he is not coming to LSU. But I am usually right about very little....

I wonder what JR would think if RP came to LSU...

4. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

I was thinking more of a Mike Vick in his first NFL year approach in that, in his first year, he's given a package of plays that are "his".

These plays include, but are not dominated by, designed bootlegs that have a one or two option route component (e.g., sort of like Vick's rollouts that have Alge Crumpler dragging some 8-10 yards downfield towards the rollout side). Basically, it's a simplified version of the offense but with some plays that take advantage of his mobility.

In fact, a two-QB rotation makes more sense with, say, a RP and a JR than with two QBs who are essentially the same type of QB. RP gives you more of a running threat while, by comparison, JR is more prototype.

I'm sure JR wouldn't like this, but if he wants to prevent it from happening, all he has to do is bust his ass and play so well that Perriloux doesn't get in the game as often.

This is a big reason why I'm glad Jimbo decided to stay; I'm sure he's been planning on how to use Perriloux for at least the past year.

5. OpelousasLSUFan

OpelousasLSUFan Founding Member

With a new offensive minded HC and a new offense to learn all 3 QBs will be competing for the starting position with no one being named the starter until they earn the spot. We must remember that all of them have to learn a new system from LM. We will have to wait and see what happens tomorrow before we truly know if RP will be a TIGER.
    --------------------------------------------------------

We hope to see you in Purple and Gold RP! Nothing like a Saturday night in Tiger Stadium! :thumb:

6. veedo

veedo Founding Member

Everybody forgets about Matt Flynn. It is my understanding that Flynn is really pushing JR for playing time, that is why he played in the bowl game. I would not be surprised in Flynn made it close between him and JR in the Spring. This is why I want to see a Spring Game more than anything else, I want to see how Flynn compares to JR.

7. SG_Geaux

SG_Geaux Founding Member

My gut tells me that RP is going to MSU. He wants to go where there won't be any competition, where he knows he will be the man. Just like Robert Lane, he is scared of competition and will go where he thinks he can waltz in and be king.

8. ScottyB28

ScottyB28 Founding Member

This is what I am thinking too, I sure hope not though.

9. axd9142

axd9142 Founding Member

"Everybody forgets about Matt Flynn. It is my understanding that Flynn is really pushing JR for playing time, that is why he played in the bowl game. I would not be surprised in Flynn made it close between him and JR in the Spring. This is why I want to see a Spring Game more than anything else, I want to see how Flynn compares to JR."

Flynn played in the bowl game because Saban had lost his mind. He did nothing.
    RP is not comming to LSU. It would cause a conflict between two great QB prospects, JR and RP. RP is too good to sit on the sidelines for too long and JR is too good to never be a legitimate starter. If RP gets into the QB horse race JR might transfer. Has anyone thought about that. Just imagine if JR transfers to Auburn or Alabama. Afterall JR played his best football in the state of Bama

10. ccgw

ccgw luv'em Tigers

Not so fast..... RP would also need strong support from the rest of the offence to be successful. I believe it's too big of a contrast between MSU and LSU for him to take the chance with MSU.
    ________
    TRICHOMES PICTURES