let's make some salsa and guacamole dip.

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by snorton938, Apr 16, 2004.

1. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

here are two (2) kinds of salsa (one cooked and one uncooked) along with a traditional guacamole dip (all use fresh ingredients). break out the chips and dig in.

Roasted Salsa and a
    Simple Guacamole Recipe!

For this easy homemade guacamole recipe, all you need is a few fresh ingredients and a little time. And I'll show you great recipes for homemade roasted salsa and pico de gallo, that you'll love to serve to your friends.
    The key ingredient to all these simple recipes is Fresh! They are made completely from fresh vegetables. Sure you can use canned tomatoes or peppers or garlic, but why? You just can't beat the taste of fresh vegetables, no matter what you're making.

We'll start with the Fresh roasted salsa, because it takes a little longer than the guacamole recipe. I usually like to make a batch of each of these dips and serve with chips with mexican food, or as snacks at a party.

Homemade Roasted Salsa

Ingredients:
    7 tomatoes (plum or roma preferred)
    5 serrano peppers, stems removed (of course add more to suit your taste)
    2 cloves garlic
    1/2 onion
    1/2 cilantro bunch

Directions:
    Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Spread the tomatoes and peppers on a cookie sheet or other tin and roast on the upper rack(about 4 inches below heat) of your oven for about 10 minutes or until skin starts to blacken. Remove from oven and use tongs to turn over and repeat for 10 more minutes. After both sides of tomatoes and peppers are charred, remove from oven. If you want to remove the skin, allow to cool in a plastic bag(ziploc, etc.), then remove skin. I like the taste of the cooked skin, so I leave them on.

Finely chop the onion, garlic, and cilantro.

In a blender or food processor, add tomatoes and peppers, careful to reserve as much of the liquids as possible. Add onion, garlic and cilantro. Pulse the contents a few times to your desired consistency. Salt to taste.

Pico de Gallo

Pico de Gallo is similar to the above roasted salsa, though it is uncooked. Pico can be used as a Fresh condiment with any Mexican dish. It goes equally well with fish, chicken, or beef and is commonly served with tacos, enchiladas and tamales. And, I'll show you how to incorporate it into our guacamole recipe .

Ingredients:
    5 tomatoes (plum or roma preferred)
    2 jalapeƱo peppers, stems removed
    1 lime
    1/2 white onion
    1/2 cilantro bunch

Directions:
    - Finely chop tomatoes, jalapeƱos, and onion, Mince cilantro.
    - Combine all ingredients in bowl with lime juice.
    - Stir together and refrigerate, covered, for 30 minutes to allow flavors to combine.

Guacamole

Pico is also a zesty addition to many mexican dishes. One of my favorites uses for pico is to add it to avocado as I'll show you in this delicious guacamole recipe. When purchasing avocados , you should select a fruit that yields to gentle pressure. If you have a few days to let the fruit ripen, you can buy a more firm avocado and leave it in a dry place at room temperature until you are ready to prepare the guacamole recipe. Don't buy fruits with dark blemishes on the skin, these are already overripe.

Ingredients:
    2 avocados
    1 clove garlic
    1 lime, juiced
    2 tablespoons Pico (or to taste, from recipe above)
    salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
    - slice avocados in half
    - remove pits
    - scoop out pulp
    - add garlic and lime juice
    - mash together with a fork
    - add Pico, stir together

Enjoy!