let's start a dessert thread.....

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by snorton938, Apr 3, 2004.

1. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

that topping would go great also on poundcake, cheesecake.....heck almost on any type of cake.

2. snorton938

o.k., i just made one with strawberries (buy one get one free at winn dixie) and here it is: if the image doesn't come thru can someone tell me how to do it since i've never done it before.....thanks.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Click on the Manage Attachments button and browse for the file and upload it.

4. snorton938

thanks bengal b.

5. iluvdatiger

iluvdatiger Founding Member

my favorite dessert is at Chili's and its called

Chocolate Chip Paradise Pie

I LOVE IT

6. snorton938

chocolate macaroon sandwiches:

ingredients:

for macaroons:
    3 egg whites
    3/4 cup sugar
    3 cups desiccated coconut

for chocolate filling:
    1/4 cup (2 fl oz) cream (single or pouring)
    3 oz dark couverture chocolate, chopped
    1 oz butter

preheat the oven to 350 degrees. place the egg whites, sugar and coconut in a bowl and mix to combine. press single tablesoons of the mixture into flat balls and place on baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper. bake for 10 minutes or until just golden. cool on the trays. to make the chocolate filling, place the cream in a saucepan over medium heat and bring almost to the boil. remove from the heat, add the chocolate and butter and stir until smooth. refrigerate until cold and thick. to assemble, spread a macaroon with the chocolate filling and sandwich with another macaroon. these are great to serve with strong coffee. makes 16.

7. snorton938

here is a fovorite in central florida:

Key Lime Pie by GourmetSleuth
    This is a recipe for "real" Key Lime pie. Real Key lime pie is not green and it does not have a soft "pudding" texture. The pie gets its true pale yellow color from the egg yolks that predominate the ingredient list. And the texture is a "firm custard". Be careful that you don't over-bake the pie or it will be "rubbery". For best results use fresh Key Limes, not bottled juice. The traditional preparation does not put any meringue on the top of the pie. This is a very simple recipe and only takes a few minutes to prepare and 12 minutes to bake.

i n g r e d i e n t s (crust)
    16 graham crackers, crushed
    3 tablespoons sugar
    1 cube (1/4 lb) margerine or butter

d i r e c t i o n s (crust)
    Mix the ingredients and press them into a 9" pie plate. Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 10 - 12 minutes until lightly browned. Place on a rack to cool.

i n g r e d i e n t s (pie)
    4 large or extra large egg yolks
    1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
    1/2 cup fresh key lime juice (approximately 12 Key limes)
    2 teaspoons grated lime peel, green portion only
    Whipping cream for garnish (optional)

d i r e c t i o n s (pie)
    Use an electric mixer and beat the egg yolks until they are thick and turn to a light yellow, don't over mix. Turn the mixer off and add the sweetened condensed milk. Turn speed to low and mix in half of the lime juice. Once the juice is incorporated add the other half of the juice and the zest, continue to mix until blended (just a few seconds). Pour the mixture into the pie shell and bake at 350F for 12 minutes to set the yolks and kill any salmonella in the eggs.

s e r v i n g
    If you are using the whipping cream garnish, prepare the cream. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.

Servings: 8

8. snorton938

bourbon pecan pie recipe from paula's home cooking on food network:

1 cup sugar
    3 tablespoons butter, melted
    1/2 cup dark corn syrup
    3 large eggs, beaten
    1 1/2 to 2 cups pecan halves
    2 tablespoons good-quality bourbon
    1 (9-inch) deep-dish pie shell, unbaked

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
    In a medium bowl, stir together the sugar and melted butter. Add the corn syrup, eggs, pecans, and bourbon, and stir until all ingredients are combined. Pour mixture into an unbaked pie shell, and place on a heavy-duty cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees F, and continue to bake for an additional 25 minutes, or until pie is set. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.

9. snorton938

FINTON'S LANDING COFFEE PECAN CHEWS

Source: Finton's Landing, Penn Yan, New York

3/4 cup flour
    1 tablespoon instant coffee
    2 eggs
    1 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 cup melted margarine (butter makes the bars less chewy)
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 cup chopped pecans

Sift flour and instant coffee, set aside.

Beat eggs until foamy, gradually add sugar, beating until stiff. Stir in melted margarine and vanilla. Add dry ingredients and mix well. Add nuts. Pour into greased and floured 8-inch square pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in pan, then cut into squares.

10. snorton938

Buttermilk Pie
    By Karin Calloway

While Buttermilk Pie is a Southern tradition, its luscious sweet-tart flavor should be a welcome addition to summer picnics and parties anywhere.

Recipes abound for Buttermilk Pie, and my favorite recipe has been in my files for years. I began preparing Buttermilk Pie in college, before I was much of a cook. Like most custard pies, it’s a cinch to put together.

Buttermilk is, of course, the common ingredient in this classic pie. The other ingredients, eggs, melted butter, and sugar, differ in amount from recipe to recipe. Many recipes use cornstarch as a thickener, but I opt for a bit of flour to do the job. And, my version gets dose of fresh lemon juice for flavor, while other version have a vanilla accent.

Buttermilk Pie is great for summer entertaining, as it travels fairly well and needs to be prepared ahead. Bake it early in the day, or even a day before serving, then slice the pie and garnish with fresh berries for a Southern summer sweet.

Buttermilk Pie

1 unbaked refrigerated piecrust or frozen pie shell
    1 ½ cups sugar
    3 tablespoons flour
    3 eggs, beaten
    2 tablespoons melted butter
    1 ½ cups buttermilk
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. If using a refrigerated piecrust, fit into a pie tin, trim and crimp edges and set aside.

Combine sugar and flour in a medium bowl. Add the eggs, butter, buttermilk and lemon juice and mix well. Pour into the prepared pie shell. Bake 50 minutes to 1 hour, until pie is set. Remove from oven and cool on a rack for 30 minutes. Refrigerate several hours or overnight before serving.

Makes 1 pie.